Please Help Me Decide:OCD vs M.I. Crunch Box vs Menatone Foxy Brown vs M.I. Tube Zone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gang twanger, Feb 14, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I need help making my decision for a great $100 to $200 distortion with good bottom that does the low>medium>fairly high gain vintage Marshall overdriven sound. I've done a reasonable amount of homework online and I've come up with 3-4 different choices that I am more than a little interested in:

Fulltone OCD
    Menatone Foxy Brown (not sure if it has enough drive for me)
    M.I. Audio Crunch Box or possibly Tube Zone

Considering the rig I have (see below), and considering that I already have a Throbak Overdrive Boost and mainly run it through the Carvin and the Hot Rod Deluxe (which I plan on selling and upgrading to a Fender Custom Vibrolux- because the Throbak sounds like sonic nirvana through it), which choice might you make if you were in my shoes with an extra $200 in your pocket and looking for something like I mentioned above?

Any other ideas? I like a nice good quality, complex-sounding drive pedal.

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Is that out yet? I'm not sure. I'll check the website. Any idea on price? Availability? I say all this because I thought there was a big waiting list for Lovepedal stuff? I'm thinking of buying online today because I'm feeling very antsy about getting something and all the good stores within 100 miles have either burned down or closed so I can't try out anything decent that I'm interested in.

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

bumpity, bump, bump....

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

:drool

Do like many Gear Pagers do & buy them all!

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Menatone King of the Britains would be my first choice then the Crunch Box.

6. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

the Menatone Foxy Brown is a KILLER pedal. Brian's version of an 18w Marshall in a pedal. does low med and high gain quite well.

7. kstraine

kstraine Member

CRUNCHBOX!!!!!!!!!!

I love mine... seriously.

8. 89strat

89strat Member

I have the OCD and I just got a Crunch Box. They're both really great pedals. I haven't decided what I like the most, but so far I'm leaning towards the Crunch Box. I play in a cover band that does classic rock and pop, and it really nails that Marshall sound for most of what we do. The touch sensitivity and musical midrange and sustain is excellent, and so responsive. Seems to play nice with the other pedals on my board as well.

9. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have never used Menatone, so I can't compare, but I have 3 other pedals :)
    OCD is great, but for low to medium gain.
    Tone Zone is versatile, very versatile. Can do Marshall high-gain and can do Recto high gain. It is great also for lower gain sounds. But it needs tweaking, it does not always sounds great.
    For the typical high-gain Marshall crunch IMO Crunch Box is perfect. No tweaking needed, sounds always good :)