Please help me figure this Gibson out, it's not rare or anything

sa1126

Looks like a run of the mill studio to me outside of the body binding. On second look it could be counterfeit but I'm not the authority on that stuff. Logo seems a tad off...

Mpcoluv

There was a studio plus or something that looked like that guitar.
In my experience, they were good guitars that just lacked the bling of the regular Lew Pauls.

Nebakanezer

The binding is a what made me scratch my head and think could they have just replaced the truss Rod cover with a studio cover? I feel like back in the day, Gibson made some studios with binding and dot markers. Thought someone up here has one. But by 2008, they had well established that the studio line didn't come with binding. The guitar is a ways away from me and I just wanted to see what everyone thinks before I were to get up with the guy.

sa1126

I think I am wrong about it being a fake, I found another studio lp with a similar looking logo. No idea how to explain the binding but the whole deal seems suspect simply judging by the title.

Odd looking thing with the gold hardware, and binding around the top but not the fretboard.
Doesn't scream "fake!" to me, just seems... unfamiliar.
Gybson, though? Really?

Reactions: bdc

sliberty

According to a thread I saw on the LP Forum, it's likely a Les Paul Studio Standard from the 80's

Last edited:

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
The Studio Standard had dot fretboard markings and this one doesn't. This guitar also have binding on the top and bottom of the body.

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Everything looks correct with the exception of the binding. Odd that it's on the top and back.

Headstock looks right, as does the logo. The lighting threw me off on the headstock at first but I'm pretty sure that's legit.

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
Looks like your run-of-the-mill Wine Red Studio. They offered certain Studio models with gold hardware.

I can't really tell from the photos, but the binding could very well me "faux" binding.

strumnhum

I'm no expert, but I checked Gibson's site: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elec...bson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard/Features.aspx What I notice is that the neck also had binding, does not appear the body had the back bound, and the R in the logo on the Gibson site is not butted up against the G, as it appears on the Craigslist. And Gybson (intentional or ?). Like I said, not a Gibson expert (far from it)-but enough to cause me to have suspicion.

Trending Topics