Please help me identify this guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Orren, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Orren

Orren Member

Does anyone have any idea what the guitar in the picture below could be?

The guitarist is a very young Robert Smith, here playing with Siouxsie and the Banshees at Royal Albert Hall in 1983 (this is from the Nocturne show).

Unfortunately, I can't find any site that talks about Smith that mentions this guitar, since for the majority of his career, he used Nationals, Fenders, Gretches, or his current Schecter Signature guitar.

Thanks for any assistance! :)

[​IMG]

Orren

2. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

It is a Ovation I mean BreadwinnerI believe. From about 1974-6.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

couldn't it be an ovation deacon or breadwinner? Def. an ovation though.

4. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

No bout adoubt it, Ovation

5. fatherjacques

fatherjacques Member

It is an ovation for sure. One of my friend bought one very similar if not identical a couple of months ago.

6. PFCG

PFCG Member

you can tell by the headstock its an ovation, but i wonder where klein and steinberger got thier ideas huh?

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

I remember seeing that Ovation model, My older Vintage Guitar Price guide doesn't have a picture, but the description of the Breadwinner certainly fits it.

8. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

It IS a Breadwinner. Model # 1251 Six string. I've seen a couple 12 strings, but that's the only time I've seen Robert with one of those! The Deacon was the "upgraded" one (diamond inlays instead of dots, etc.).

9. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

It's a Breadwinner. The Breadwinner was my first electric guitar and I've owned two of them in my life time. The were also the first production electric guitar with active electronics (required two 9-volt batteries in a compartment in the back). The Deacon was of the same design but was finished in transparent finishes (sunburst, brown) and had fingerboard binding and fancier inlays. The Breadwinner is finished in a thick, "stippled" type of finish except for the neck which is the same color but smooth. It's a bolt on design and was available originally with large proprietary single coils that were as big as a normal humbucker, and later with small humbuckers like the ones pictured here, that weren't much bigger than a Gibson mini-humbucker pickup. The necks were a sharp "V" shape, the fingerboard narrow and the frets small and thin. Both of mine were pretty mediocre guitars, but they do look pretty cool...

10. Orren

Orren Member

You all nailed it! I did a Google Search for the Ovation Breadwinner, and there it was--a decade old interview with Robert Smith revealing that it was the Breadwinner he used with the Banshees in the early 80s (and he admitted he chose it just for the looks!)

Not something I'm going to run out and get—even if I wanted one, I'm sure they never made a lefty, ovation is particularly bad about not producing many lefties—but I do love the shape, and there may be a custom guitar in my future with something similar. :)

You guys rock!! :dude

Thanks again,
    Orren

11. jhczar

jhczar Supporting Member

Wasn't that Keith Partridge's main axe in the later years?

12. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I had a Breadwinner during the seventies as well. By coincidence I just responded to a thread regarding the L6-S and mentioned that I bought (and sold) the Breadwinner just before buying the L6-S.

Neither one were keepers.

stratzrus

13. dieselJosh

dieselJosh Member

An interesting detail about these guitars; they were bolt on AND glued in; ovation did both. Why? I don't know!

Gotta wonder how they compare to Kleins for ergonomics!

14. scanlory

scanlory Member

I'm fairly sure that I once saw a picture of Ace Frehley playing a breadwinner in the early KISS years. Don't remember where I saw it though...

15. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Yep. Ace played one. First time I saw one Glen Campbell was playing it. A local music store here carried them when they came out. I remember playing one in the store years ago. Here's a little site you might be interested in:

http://www.doremi.co.uk/breadwinner/

It's a tribute page with an interview of the designer. Also, pix - including Ace playing one.

jeffhef

16. little cyress

little cyress Member

Why do some people seem to like these and others no? Is it the active electronics? It's a solid mahogany bolt on (think stratocaster) with a huge cutaway up to 24 frets...
    If you close your eyes and throw in your favorite pickups?
    Anyone have this experiment? I just picked one up for a nominal sum and am curious... hasn't arrived just yet... It needs to be a player cuz it's a multimedia piece of artwork already