Please help me identify this midi device for my pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by peach_fuzz, Feb 12, 2012.

1. peach_fuzz

peach_fuzz Member

Hi all - this is my first post here at the TGP forum and it's great to be here.

I need some help identifying a device that I'm looking for, and I'm not sure if even exists. I just finished building my pedalboard, and I've got 10 total pedals which includes a wah. All of the pedals are true-bypass and I've got them cabled together in the series that represents the typical order I'd use about 80% of the time. However, I'm looking for some kind of controller unit where I could have a send and return cable running from each pedal to the controller unit where each pedal would be independent from each other. Then, using the controller unit, I could setup patches which determines which pedals are used and what the routing order would be. The controller unit would be preferably some kind of floor unit with switches that could be tapped to recall a saved patch during live performance so I can switch from say a patch which defines a series of pedals that make up my rhythm tone to another patch that defines a series of pedals which defines my lead tone. The more patches I could define and save, the better.

I've seen these controller units before and I think most of them use MIDI somehow, but I never really understood how they worked or they had features on them that I'd never use.

Can anyone recommend some kind of product that would do what I'm looking for? I appreciate any replies.

- fuzz

2. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

There is only one unit, that I know of, that can do this.
    Sound Sculpture's Switchblade.

It's a rack unit that will work with many different foot controllers.

http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/switchblade.htm

3. jb4674

jb4674 Member

A few questions:

1. How much are you looking to spend?
    2. Will you be comfortable with the idea of adding a foot controller in addition to whatever hardware you decide to go with?
    3. Will you want your pedals on the floor or housed in a rack?

The Switchblade is uber expensive for what it does. However, there are other options as well.

1. RJM's Effect Gizmo
    2. VooDoo Labs GCX
    3. Switchblade
    4. GigRig (not 100% sure about the midi capability)

All those options above with the exception of the gigrig, will require you to use a midi foot controller. How big of a controller depends on you.

4. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

The only one, out of these 4 that has the ability to manipulate chain order is the Switchblade.

I sure wish there was another.
    If anyone knows of another pedal switching unit that can change effects order, please chime in here.

Maybe Sound Sculpture holds a patent on this technology, because I can't figure out why no one else offers this.

5. peach_fuzz

peach_fuzz Member

Wow. Anymore opinions on this? It bewilders me that some manufacturer out there hasn't built something like this considering all of the pedal guys out there.

6. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There's also the 360 systems midi controlled matrix, which has 16 sends and 16 returns and can patch them in any order at all. It is a 2 rackspace unit, and discontinued in the 1/4" version.

8. fallout-labs

fallout-labs Member

you need a switchblade, this is exactly what its designed to do, and does it really well.