Please help me pick a distortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lpstudio, Feb 13, 2008.

1. lpstudio

lpstudio Member

Hi guys I have been reading the forums, Talking to local music shops, Contacting Fulltone and I am going crazy. What I am looking for is a distortion that will give me a Jerry Cantrell like tone through a 1975 Traynor YGL3 100 watt EL34 based head. The music store told me to get a OCD but they didn't sell them. I listened to some sounds and it sounds wonderful but not enough gain I didn't think. Then I emailed Fulltone who said I should buy a zvex box of metal. I checked out some samples of the BOM and thought maybe a bit too scooped for my taste. I want rich mids and a very creamy tone but with some grit. I am running multiple guitars which include a prs CU22, a les paul with a JB,59 pickups and a strat with a little 59 in the bridge. I hope I have given enough info and btw price is a factor to some degree but I will spend up to around $300.00 if the tone is great.

Thanks

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Maybe try a MI Audio Crunch Box. It definitely has a very creamy distortion thing going on.

3. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

The Crunch Box is highly recommended around here-- and it's nowhere near $300.

4. gearboy

gearboy Member

MI Audio Crunch Box
    Kaden Effects Brown Creeper

5. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

I also have a crunchbox, and i love that little box, but i wouldn't say it sounds "creamy".

check out the new Wampler pedals (indyguitarist) Ecstacy pedal -- from the clips it sounds very rich and creamy and gritty at the same time, just like what you are describing.

http://wamplerpedals.com/ecstasy.htm

6. lpstudio

lpstudio Member

wow thanks for the advice guys I will have to check out the crunchbox for sure.

7. lpstudio

lpstudio Member

well I just got my crunch box today and I would like to thank everyone that suggested it. THis thing sounds pretty damn great cheers.

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

Glad to be of assistance and even gladder you like it.

9. srvfan18

srvfan18 Member

Have you tried the ToneBone Hot British. I have one and swear by it. It is a tube preamp. It comes with a 12AX7 preamp tube. It will give you the nicest marshall type tones. As for Jerry Cantrell I haven't analyzed his sound but I have attached a link to the tonebone site. Check out the sound clips.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-hotbritish.htm

10. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I play alot of Alice in Chains and I like the Visual Sounds Jeckyll and Hyde (Jeckyll for Alice) and it sounds better than my MI Audio crunch box for nailing that tone!

11. sega

sega Member

Well It's nice to know that they are open to other format...
    I did the same when I used to sell bikes.
    Someone comes in to buy a certain bikes that match the customer's need...well I told them about other
    stores that had the product.

And you don't end up with a unhappy customer in the end.
    It's all abour being honest with people.
    +1 for Fulltone

:BEER

12. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Save your money, get a Marshall Govnor Plus2.

13. Snakum

Snakum Member

I went on a hunt for the Marshall in a box thing for a while, and after playing all the hot pedals I thought the CrunchBox was the cream of the crop.