1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me pick a Fender type reverb pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Joe Perry, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I'm looking for a reverb pedal that does the Fender reverb well. Please tell me what you prefer and why. Here's what I'm thinking of...

-Van amps Sole-mate (heavily leaning towards)
    -T Rex Room mate (?)although I heard you can't change the tube yourself
    - Fender outboard RI probably should be my 1st choice but I want something smaller

Then the standard choices EH Holy grail etc....

Thanks,

Joe

2. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

Definitely consider a Nova Reverb. I've been searching for the perfect reverb pedal for a long time, and I think I'm finally done after acquiring the Nova. It sounds phenomenal, and is very realistic.

3. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

I've got a Marshall Reflector and I really like it. It's got several different modes for a great deal of "tweak-ability". It sounds alot more natural than many digital reverb pedals (Boss RV-3 which is very thin and fake sounding to me). I would definitely recommend the Reflector, and it's not too bad at around $120 new at GC. You could probably find a used for under 100.

I had a Holy Grail for 2 days and I took it right back. It's got a great sound, very simple, and is well built. However, it had a HORRIBLE high squeal even when switched off. When it's turned on it was even worse. I tried every power supply (including the EHX wall wart I got with the pedal) and had no luck fixing it. Maybe it was just mine, but the good sound wasn't worth the annoying noise it put out. I would steer clear of Holy Grail for just that reason.

Just my .02.

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

5. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

My vote: Verbzilla. And nice price too. Gotta tweek it a little but it does a decent fender reverb. The tone knob was a big bonus for me.

6. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I will second this as I have one and love it.....

7. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

You were right on the money with your first pick. Going into a fender-style amp with no reverb (I used it with a Gries 5), I haven't heard anything to match the Sole Mate. Amazing product.

8. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Thanks guys! I'll have to swing by GC & check out the Marshall pedal. They may even carry the Nova?

Blood, can you just use the reverb on the FDR-1. I don't want my Komet to sound like a DR. :crazy

I've heard a lot about noise issues wuth the Holy grail. The new one is supposed to be better but I'm already gun shy.

Ban, I keep coming back to the Sole-mate, I guess because of the springs and it's still somewhat small. Their youtube clips sound great, although I wish they had some clips with a Fender type amp.

Has anyone tried/heard the Lee Jackson Mr Springgy? His clips sound great but there are almost no reviews out there.

9. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The Sole Mate is it for spring reverb pedals. I have the Reverbamate and the Sole Mate. Love the Van Amps stuff.

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

i have a Concert with two channels (two inputs for each channel too in fact), and a princeton tweed with two inputs, one channel. i know the reverbamate will be just fine with the Concert, but will it do well with the Princeton if i feed it into both inputs? or will i need a sole mate? and i read that the sole mate works with the voodoo PP2+, but does the reverbamate work well with the PP2+ as well?

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Give Tim a call at Van Amps, he's very helpful and easy to talk with. He's at NAMM right now, not exhibiting though, but call him next week and he'll answer all your concerns.
    I can't recommend the Sole Mate highly enough. It is it for all types of traditional reverb sounds. It rivals the reverb in my BF Fender amps. From subtle to all out spring saturation it does it all very convincingly into my Greer CAM18 and Clark Beaufort. You'll ears will never know it is an outboard reverb. And another great thing is that it doesn't require tubes.

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

As far as a spring reverb sound in a pedal goes, the Holy Grail is pretty darned accurate (Cops maybe 80%-90% of the Fender tone?) and I've heard the new Holy Grail Plus has whipped the noise problem although I've not tried a new one myself. Outside that, an actual spring unit would be the next step. And except for an actual vintage Fender outboard tank some good choices (from what I've read) would include an Uncle Spot, Gomez, Victoria, Clark, and Guyatone. I'm currently waiting on an Uncle Spot. A Fender reissue tank is a decent choice with some tube tweaking. If you're not electronically challenged like I am Weber makes both a reverb tank kit and reverb with tremolo kit. And I could be wrong, but, I think if you asked David Allen really nicely he would make you a pretty decent unit too.
    I would like to hear from someone who has A/B'ed a new Holy Grail Plus and T.C Electronic Nova, both on the spring setting.

Tom

13. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

I just listened to the sound bites of the Reflector and they sound great. Sound better than the clips of the Verbzilla and Boss IMO. I have an RRR which is excellent and going nowhere (not really what you're looking for though) and a Verbzilla (that sometimes subs on for the Octo effect only).
    Anyway, my point is that the Reflector may be worth checking out. Could be a sleeper. I must try one myself.

14. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Important point to remember regarding this thread...there are lots of good reverb pedals. However, I think Joe is referring to good Fender spring type reverb tones in a pedal. And that narrows the field considerably. Just to clarify...

Tom

15. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Hey Tom,

You're right, A lot of the pedals offer a lot more. I just want a Fendery spring type. I sort of put the search off for a bit while my wife was recovering from surgeory and I was running with the kids. One night I saw a Sole-mate in the emporium for a decent price and went for it. Used it was just a little more than some pedals new. To be honest, the only one that peaked my interst was the Lee Jackson Mr Springgy but there is almost no reviews compared to the Sole-mate which has glowing reviews.

This thing sounds great! Very quiet running. Nails that Fender reverb I was looking for. My favorite Fender Blackface/reverb tone to date is the Pure 64 head paired with his 2x12 cab. But now putting 6L6's in my Komet with this pedal is right up there.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Joe

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Sole mate for me. Wonderful little device. Not exactly the same as my outboard Fender reverb ... one less control, far smaller of course, not as surfy at lower settings. It sounds just as good in its own way, and is so convenient I leave the larger tank at home.

17. blood5150

blood5150 Member

18. duende

duende Member

Curious...

I heard the sole mate, and while I think it definitely sounds great... why not just get an old outboard Fender Reverb or RI?? Has the dwell and everything...

19. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

A couple of reasons. I just didn't wan't something quite that big and didn't care for the RI's. I would have felt a little different about the size if originals or botique selection were a little less $. I missed an Uncle Spot outboard unit that went for a decent price here. For the $225 shipped I paid for the near new used one I bought, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Especially with the good reviews it received around here. As a guy who owns some pretty nice gear, usually I'm not too hung up on price but being tax time and my wife out of work for a couple of weeks because of a surgeory I was looking to do it on the cheap this time.

20. duende

duende Member

I hear ya.... I was just wondering if perhaps people didn't care for the Fender Reverb units. I have an old blackface one.... it's definitely finicky, in that it can make your pure tone ice-picky if you're not careful. Or maybe mine is just in need of some repairs. Thought people on this thread might have some insights.

Best