Please help me pick a vox-like tone!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bobotwt, Oct 11, 2005.

1. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Hey guys, I need your help. I'm about to order a new amp but I can't decide. I'm going for a voxy tone. Tones I'd like to be able to approximate are Brad Paisley's, John Jorgenson's (especially his overdriven tone on the Hellecasters' tunes "Passion" and "Son Becomes Father" if anyone is familiar with these), and Brian May's (with a treble booster of course). And it needs to take pedals well.

These are the ones I'm thinking about:

-Valvetech Hayseed 30
    -DRZ Carmen Ghia
    -DRZ Mazerati

The clip of Dean Parks playing the Ghia on the Xotic page sounds really close to JJ's tone to me (especially once he cranks the gain).

My other question is between a 1x12 or a 2x12. I almost always mike my amp and usually play churches or smaller venues so I don't need a ton of stage volume. I am leaning toward a 1x12, but wanted to know if the 2x12 is that much better sounding (other than just bigger and louder sounding). I've heard that a 1x12 is boxy sounding, but is it really that bad. I won't be playing at really loud levels. I've played for a minute through the CG and Rati and they are brutally loud. Thanks guys. Bring on the suggestions

Josh

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

VOX'y tone?

Go to the well. Why not the AC30CC? Standard combo under $1000, with Cele-Blues $1600. Very versatile.

EP.

3. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i was in the same boat a few months ago. i ended up getting a vox head and 2x12 cab. i replaced the stock speakers with weber alnicos which saved me a few hundred over the celestions. i got the head and cab because you need to remove the speakers just to retube on the combo which is quite retarded. there have been a lot of reliability problems but mine has been 100% perfect for 3 months now.

4. meterman

meterman Member

TopHat Club Royale would be a good choice

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Carmen Ghia.

The Mazerati would be my first choice but it is loud.

6. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Well, I've tried a new AC30 CC (2x12 with blues) and a Mazerati (2x12 with blues). Both sounded great. The 'Rati has the best clean sound I've ever heard. Didn't get to crank it past about 1 o'clock. The only thing I liked better about the Vox was it seemed to react better to my Time Machine Boost. I guess that could be due to the darker normal channel of the Vox, but the 'Rati did seem a little stiffer with it. Has anyone used a treble booster with a mazerati? I am still going to try a Ghia and the new Stingray before I make my final decision.

One other interesting note....When I ab'd the open 2x12 with blues versus a Zbest, I couldn't believe how congested and honky the Zbest sounded. Is that others experience? I mean a zbest sounds great, but a Z 2x12 open back with blues was the best I've ever heard.

7. GasMask

GasMask Member

:AOK

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Vox, but I'd still go with an older one slightly modded (I've had a few of these and they seem to sell in the $1500-2k range). Especially Brian May, that's what you need (although for recording Queen stuff the Watkins Dominator probably nails just as many of his tones). Brad Paisley's using Dr. Z isn't he? Not very Voxy but great sounding in their own right...

9. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

TopHat 2x12 deep cabinet Club Royale
    TopHat 2x12 King Royale

Both Voxy - but much more versatile. Some of the absolute best made amps out there, bar none.

10. ronw

ronw Member

Yes! My Top Hat King Royale puts out brit-vox vibe in large doses, as well as many other tones.

11. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

The only argument I can think of against the Hayseed is the long wait to get one. The price is an outright bargain (almost identical to the Chinese, PCB Vox AC30). You can get the half power switch which will help you with your volume problem. You can also get whatever cabinet type and cosmetics for no extra cost.

It's an incredibly versatile amp when you consider the EF86 switching options.

12. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

No question man, get the Hayseed 30. Rob is a tremendous man and his amps are absolutely breathtaking, to look at and to listen to. Seriously, do yourself a favor and get a Hayseed 30.

13. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Ron, is that You?????? How's the King mang? Killer rig, isn't it?

14. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

Hi.

I use a Heritage Briton, which I preferred over the Hayseed.
    I think the Briton to me is more elegant in Cleans, and has more Sparkle than you ever need. The hayseed goes halfway to marshall-land when pushed.

My guess:
    shining Vox-Cleans: Briton.
    roaring brit-Drive: hayseed

see you
    DrDespair

15. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

You really cannot go wrong with any of the choices mentioned in this post. I would hasten to add that between the CC, Mazerati, Top Hats and Hayseed the differences are more personal preference than anything else. Having owned all of them I would say they are all great amps. The CC sounds most like an old Vox principally because they designed an exact albion transformer clone, but the Hayseed has bigger bottom end and is capable of more brightness - kind of like a cross between a DC30 and an old Vox despite the exact circuit (again because the trannie is not an exact Vox clone). The Top Hats do a very nice vox like clean but the distortions take you into Marshall grind - these are huge sounding amps. The Maz has a nice robust clean with just the right amount of spank with the distortion being that tight Dr. Z distortion that makes his amps so distinct. The CC's reliability problems have all been ironed out in the new runs - the problems were mainly defective preamp tubes and shipping damage. It all depends how important the hand wired thing is to you and how authentic a Vox tone you want. If you are fine with a Vox inspired tone then you cannot go wrong with the hand wired offerings.

16. ronw

ronw Member

Hey Fred, yeah it's me. The King is absolutely everything I was hoping it to be. The tone goes for days! This thing is all over a vox. And unlike the older Top Hats, the new models (King Royale anyway) doesn't cross over into Marshall land unless you force it to. It's extremely versatile. I'll attempt to record some clips and post them on the Top Hat forum.

17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Jorgenson's "Passion" tone is a tube screamer into a loud Matchless DC30 (or JJ, can't recall which).

This from LeonC, who emailed John and asked him!

That is a simply amazing lead tone.... makes the hairs stand up on my arm.