Please help me replace my amps....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Young John, May 22, 2015.

1. Young John

Young John Member

I am currently running a '65 Bassman in a 1x12 format alongside a '59 LTD Bassman. I built the 1x12 combo so I wouldn't have to carry the LTD around. They sounded so good together that now I'm carting both of them around. (friggin genius eh?)
    I Love both of these amps but I'm tired of carting them around. I do a Blues/R&B thing and I still have a few more years of giggin in me so I'm looking to lighten the load.
    Can I get your opinions on a single amp that will get me the strong, muscular blackface tone and the grainy, sweet tweed tone in one box?
    Is there such a thing?

Thanks for your help.

2. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Redplate! RP40 maybe?

3. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

I had a Fargen Dual Classic which had a Super Reverb circuit in the clean channel and a Bassman/JTM45 in the drive channel. The drive channel was voiced like a Brownface Bassman, according to TGP member Seegs. He was the owner of the first Dual Classic if memory serves me well. A combo version should meet your needs... maybe a 2X10" if you don't care for lot os bass

4. sants

sants Supporting Member

Carr rambler or viceroy.

5. glazed67

glazed67 Supporting Member

6. gtone

gtone Member

Every time I used to whine about heavy combos/cabs, I just remembered how much worse it is to load bass gear in/out. We have little to complain about...

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

8. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

You already own it.
    Mod the bass channel to get more mids from the tone stack, and a bit mote gain from the first gain stage.
    best

9. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I would try modding the Bassman, but otherwise a 3rd Power American Dream is basically what you're looking for.

10. Young John

Young John Member

I wish I knew how to do that kinda stuff. I had always thought about making that useless channel useful. Making it Tweed like would be awesome.
    I thought it'd be cool to make it a 2 x 10 and be able to blend the 2 channels together to taste.

11. Young John

Young John Member

I was checking them out earlier and was wondering if the two sounds can be blended?

12. Young John

Young John Member

I sure don't want to get rid of my '65. Although the cabinet labels are notoriously inaccurate, I still cling to the fact that the label says it was put together on the same month and year I was born.

13. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Do you live near me.?

14. Young John

Young John Member

Oh my goodness.....Dig this thing.
    http://www.3rdpower.com/dream_weaver.htm

When I was younger and had all the answers, I played through this very '65 Bassman and a Plexi. It was my best rig ever. I sold the Plexi for a mortgage payment....uuhhhhhggg....that hurts.

Anyhoo, check out the "Jump" feature on the Dream Weaver....could it get any better?

15. Young John

Young John Member

I'm in Arizona.

16. glazed67

glazed67 Supporting Member

Hello John, Do you mean the Tweed & Blackface preamps blended? No, the (RP50r) doesn't do that, you can run each separately w/ the drive channel. Other RP models are capable of that, I believe the models with the "duo" designation, where they can be stacked. If it can be done, Henry will build it for you.

17. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

For both Tweed and Blackface sounds, I've used a Vox TB18C1 or Kustom '36 Coupe. With an Eminece Lil' Texas Speaker, the Vox weighs 36 lbs, and the '36 Coupe at 42 lbs.

18. Ramblin Hymns

Ramblin Hymns Member

I've got a bad back and I like saving my tubes so I went to a head and cab. I had the CDS2 Red Plate and loved it but combos can be rough on tubes IMO. Now I have The Red Plate MDD50, RPPRO50, and a Blues Machine 66. I have 2 ix12 cabs with a KTS-60 and the other with the WGS-12L. They sound good together and by themselves. The RP's are just very versatile but each have their own thing happening. The BM66 I just got and it is a beefy amp but has some nice cleans. Easy to set up also.

19. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

There are a number of good amp techs who can do this for you (e.g., mod bass channel for more gain, fine tune normal channel, and add cathode/fixed bias switch), and it will cost a lot less than buying a new Redplate or 3rd Power amp, if cost is a consideration. Roy Blankenship modded mine and I did one myself -- a '65 Bassman is a pretty basic circuit. Combine that amp with a good pedal to switch between amp channels (I prefer the Lehle) and you have a pretty versatile setup. But, new amps are cool too.

20. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Get a BF Pro Reverb and put some mid-rangey British-style speakers in it.