1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

please HELP me to get 70s Tone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dirtytony, Jan 15, 2008.

1. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

hi
    I'm striving to get 70s tone with my lester... my goal is that classic rhythm tone, you can hear a sample in the song Running Wild from this band :

http://www.myspace.com/airbourne

it seem to me like a sort of fuzz/wah or something similar
    this is the best place to find the solution
    please guys help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI you need treble Booster :) I can get that sound together with mine Tube Works Real Tube Driver. I place the treble booster before the Tube Drive and set it to more gain then drive, but also a good germanium Fuzz can get that type of sound, my advise try a Hartman Germanium Fuzz, I have the 2stage Fuzz and its in its sound range.
    Peace Strat58

3. AL30

AL30 Member

What's your setup? Les Paul but what are the pickups? What amp are you using?

Les Paul's with a PAF into a Marshall should do it. Use a booster of some sort to help out if needed. A treble boost (like Strat58 said), LPB or a Tube Screamer. All of these should work fine.

But I think the pickups are a really important part of the equation. I swapped out my '90 Les Paul pickups and it was a huge improvement.

AL

4. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

i dont listen to that stuff much but man i love that kinda sound!! :RoCkIn
    love when the black crowes etc. get into that territory !

yes indeed a LP and a marshall...

keep us posted on what you do wind up with

5. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

sorry guys english is not my primary language so I hitnk I wasnt clear before but was I'm searching is for the rhythm sound not lead one, if you listen to Running Wild (http://www.myspace.com/airbourne) at 2:12 you'll listen to what I'm searchin' perfectly, I'm pretty sure thats a sort of wah/Q/envelope/phase thing with a distortion, it reminds me a bit the sound in Iggy Pop's "Corruption" and I'm 100% sure in Iggys song it was a Roland fuzz/wah (a guy who knows the guitarist told me) so I'm asking if someone can suggest me which fx is there...

6. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

c'mon guys... no one can suggest me a pedal???

7. Joses

Joses Member

u need bell-bottoms

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

It's not a wah. It is something very simple, like the LesPaul>marshall thing. Set your amp sound, and forget it. Good plan for 70's metal sound, and that seems to be the plan for these guys. But there is a trick.

You want to boost the level going into the amp, but your main distortion is amp distortion. Treble booster can give that tone, or some kind of boost to add gain to the input.

Actually a treble booster is my new favorite pedal, and it adds a little distortion of its own. Here's a link to a good TB company; I have the ranger, but i'm wondering if the tonemaster would be more user-friendly:
    http://www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com/home.asp

9. Grenville

Grenville Member

Rose Tattoo, AC/DC, The Angels, this is classic Aussie pub rock.

As others have said, this is very loud Marshall amps, Gibson guitars, maybe a treble boost or maybe fuzz.

10. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

+1 get a marshall tube amp and a boost pedal.
    Bad Bob
    LPB1
    Seymour Duncan PU booster
    SHO
    etc