Please Help Me - VOX AC15Hw

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Resonate01, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

Just need help trying to figure out what's wrong with my amp.

A couple weeks ago I bought a Vox AC15HW used, tried it at his house, sounds great. I brought it home and tried it with my rig, the next day at church I noticed some buzzing and quite a bit of noise. After about a week playing around with it, I notice some noise in behind my playing (egg frying noise) and volume jumps. It got worse as I added gain.

Naturally, the first thing I did was change the tubes. I had a few extra power tubes that I put in the amp, and also added some brand new tung sols in the preamp section, as well as an older sovtek lps for v3, which I had lying around for a while.

With the tube change, amps sounds really good. No noticeable volume jumps, but I still hear the background noise behind my playing. Everytime I strike a note, I hear the amp buzz a little bit. It's not really noticeable playing clean, but as I add gain stages with my pedals, it seems to get louder and more obnoxious.

Could it be one of the older tubes? Or maybe something else? I don't really know where to start to be honest.

Oh, also I tried with and without my pedals in the chain, didn't make a difference in noise.

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Gain will add noise, regarding the noise if you have a blue you are now amplifying a lot more high than before. It's possible especially if you attack the notes hard that the buzzing is fret rattle. The speaker is now amplifying this noise, I think you should make sure it's not your guitar and/or playing.

3. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

I had a similar issue with a used ac15hw i bought a few years ago. Turns out it was a bad volume pot that needed replaced. Is the noise there on both the top boost and normal channels? Either way, I'd take it to a tech

4. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

5. ken374

ken374 Member

I know the hot switch channel has a lot of hiss when I had one