Please help me : What I'm I hearing? (/13 content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joe Perry, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Let me start out by saying that I've always been a Strat and 6L6/6V6 black face type of guy. I currently own a new Tone King Meteor II & a Komet proto head. Both 6V6. They both are fantastic and I don't plan on getting rid of them.

Lately I've been gassing for a /13. So naturally I thought the FTR-37 was the one for me. I've been re-listening to Lance's clips from the UGG website. I think I actually like the ERT 33 tone better when comparing the clips of the reverb channel with a strat. What am I hearing that I like? The 37 clip sounds a little thin to me. Is it the fact that the 33 has reverb? Have I been missing something all along with EL-84's? Plus maybe it would be good to have an EL-84 amp around.

One last thing. Someone please set *me* straight once and for all. Are there clips of someone doing SRV's Lenny on a ERT 33? I've seen LeonC's video with the 37 but I recall hearing something about someone else doing an audio clip that started a lot of the hype originally. Or maybe just all this G.A.S. is affecting my brain?

Thanks,

Joe

BTW, here is the link to the clips.

http://www.ultimateguitargear.com/tone_party_reviews_divided.htm

2. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Hey Joe,
    Im in a similar quandry as you. Based on the description on the /13 website, The FTR37 sounds like the right amp for me but I have only heard a couple clips and didnt really like them. Lance's clips are much better, however I like the 6V6 clips better (what amp is that)?

Anybody have any other links to sound clips of /13 amps?

Thanks for the thread Joe

Richard

3. GasMask

GasMask Member

4. Joe Perry

Hey Richard,

The 6V6 clips are the FTR-37 & the EL84 clips are the ERT 33. Maybe it was just that clip but to me the 6V6 wasn't full sounding enough for me. The EL84 clip (w/ strats) sounded bigger.

Joe

5. GUITARKELLY

GUITARKELLY Member

The Problem with clips is that there like a snapshot of the amp and not how you will sound though the amp with your guitar.

6. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

The Lenny video is one of LeonC's demo's of the FTR37. http://www.patchwerkz.com/LeonsGear/

Remember, Lance doesn't use a pick. He finger picks everything. So those samples are a little different than other's you'll hear. http://www.ultimateguitargear.com/tone_party_reviews_divided.htm

Pete Mins demo's are cool to hear things in a mix. Incredible production, but I think it's a little dark. There is room to brighten it up. http://dividedby13.com/clips/ftr37/

Search for Curehardy's clips around here somewhere. They are pretty close to what you'll get with a strat through the 37.

If anything has more than enough low end and fullness, it's a FTR37. Trust me. Look at all the pictures in articles, posts, stage shots, etc... you'll see most everyones bass set between 10:00 and 2:00.

In the latest D13 newletter, it seems the most popular models are the 37 and the 23. Most pro players that have one, have the other.

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

The 33 is going to be a little darker with the strat, and that sounds nice clean (I love Lance's clips with it), but it doesn't have the gain the 37 does...and if you plan on using the OD channel, you might appreciate the 37 more. The 37 is definitely more squeaky than the 33. In the clips it may sound thin but in person it is anything but. I had a guy tell me this week that he's never heard a strat sound like a Les Paul until now, the EJ and the FTR-37 combo was so phat he couldn't believe it.

P.S. I tend to favor the 33 in Lance's clean clips, but the 37 is smokin' on the OD channels. Humbucker + 37 clip!!

8. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I'll chime in here as an FTR 37 owner and a former RSA 31 (4 x EL84) owner.

The FTR 37 is not thin by any means. It is very full. I think you'll find the FTR 37 will sound more full than the ERT 33 (or the RSA 31 for that matter) in person.

When I had both amps, the RSA 31 absolutely nailed the best straight up Vox tones. Clean & chimey. And when overdriven, that amp screamed. I found I liked the overdriven tones on the clean channel of the RSA 31 better than on the click channel. If (when) I get another one, the smallbox version of the RSA 31 would be PERFECT.

The FTR 37's cleans are different. Still chimey, but fuller & thicker and with great definition & tightness. Does that make sense?

I ended up keeping the FTR 37 and selling the RSA 31 because the FTR 37, IMHO, can do a lot of things really well. There's a reason the 37 is Fred's most popular amp. I viewed the RSA 31 as a more specialized amp for those in search of Vox tones. To me, the 37 has a mix of tones which were more useful to me because of the different styles of music (rock, blues, & country) that I play.

Did I mention this amp wails in my new country band. Spankin' clean to downright dirty!

-Rich

9. stratofied

stratofied Member

Having owned both of these amps I would say that Lance did a good job with those clips. They are a very good representation of the two amps. The FTR37 is more Fender like on the clean side and has a bit more gain on the click channel. The ERT33 is more in the Vox camp and has very nice gain on the click side. It is a matter of personal taste but in the end I chose the ERT33. I play a Strat or Tele most of the time and just preferred that tone.

10. Joe Perry

Thanks for all the replies guys. I figured it was probably just the clip that was a little thin. This is a tough decision. I think I'm leaning towards the 33. Only because I already have the Tone King and I love it's cleans. I'm not a heavy distortion player just like something with some growl.

Stratofied,
    Did you have yours up for sale a little while back? Did you decide to keep it? What about the tone made you choose the 33 over the 37?

Thanks again,

Joe

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I had a 37 for awhile, I thought it had good lows and good highs but was thinner in the mids. Pulling the mid boost added some higher mids I felt the amp needed more of the lower mids. The 23 has all the fat mids I could want. IMO

12. stratofied

stratofied Member

Yea, I was in a bit of a tight for cash so I put one of my Tylers and the D13 up FS. The Tyler moved first so I'm holding the amp for now. I like the FTR37, wish I could keep all of the amps I like but the ERT33 tone just appealed to me a bit more. I have a couple of nice old Fender black face amps so I don't miss the FTR cleans so much. I don't think you would be disappointed with either amp. Be sure and get one of Fred's cabs. I've tried these amps with several very nice cabs and none of them make the amp speak like the D13 cab.

13. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

I love my FTR37 but i too have been gassing for an RSA31. If you need any help at all with certain clips just let me know and i'll do my best to record them. I have all the equipment in my sig, and a studio in my bedroom. Right now i'm recording a new project that is full of divided by 13 goodness.

thanks, jon