Please help me with my fender vintage 59 re issue strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by andybluesnrock, Mar 25, 2015.

1. andybluesnrock

andybluesnrock Member

When my 59 re issue arrived i could not tune it! I rang the guitar store which is five hours away and they told me over the phone how to in and out the screws inside the back plate and use my chromatic tuner to achieve the right setup and its been fine until today! I i changed the string as i do every month but instead of using 12-54 ernie ball cobalts I used 11-52 normal old ernie ball beefys!! It wouldnt tune proprley so i added two more springs in the back and played with the screws in back until it was close but it just doesnt sound right and not quite in tune when my boss tu-3 tuner says it is PLEASE HELP I AM NOT VERY KNOWLEDGABLE. CHEERS ANDY

2. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Whenever you change string guage it changes almost everything you did during a setup. The neck relief , string height, trem height all change because the tension is different. Since you arent that knowledgeable I would take it in for a setup and have them put on the strings you plan on using . Next time you change strings I would not deviate frome the strings you originally had or it will need another setup. Get a book that shows you how to do setups and read before you proceed.

3. dcarroll

dcarroll Member

Order "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" you can get it on amazon.com

This book will give you the tools to do your own setups. They won't be as good as a very experienced luthier -- but will get it in the ballpark and save you lots of money and driving time.

4. monty

monty Member

+1
    This book was (is) a huge help to me and at half of the cost of a set up.

5. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

A new guitar not tuneable - Sorry to hear!

The book is a good idea. I also did a Youtube search on the words, "Stratocaster" and "intonation" and several looked like they might be helpfiul. Here's one, so hopefully you can find a clip that can help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQYA_UG4DjI

Good luck - and congrats on your new guitar!

6. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

Another +1.... learning to do your own setup is well worth the effort.

The more of them you do, the easier it gets... and better as well.

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Changing string gauges also throws the intonation off. Sometimes changing brands, of the same gauge, will throw the intonation off. The tensile strength of say a set of D'Addario .010's may be less than a set of Ernie Ball .010's. A neck adjustment is a given and if you're floating your tremolo you'll have to adjust the pull.

8. Mandrax

Mandrax Member

Did you stretch the strings after installing them? This is something many people overlook.

9. twostring

twostring Member

Can you provide a little more information about what is going wrong? If a guitar won't stay in tune, it's almost always because something is moving. Is your bridge "floating" (the rear of the bridge is lifted off of the body of the guitar) or is it "decked" (the rear of the bridge is flat against the body)?

Also, for vintage style tuners, the default Fender setup guide has never failed me.

Fender Strat Setup Guide

10. andybluesnrock

andybluesnrock Member

Thanks guys for all your help and replies. It was all helpful

11. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

+1 for the Dan Erlewine books - they are a great resource. Also, asking here can provide a ton of useful info.

Nothing beats learning how to do your own minor setup work though - can be very rewarding, and save you money in the long run.

Initially, I would suggest taking your guitar to a reputable tech to fix up - then once you get it back and you like how it plays, take time to measure the action, look at the neck relief etc. so get it in your head what a good setup should look like.

Then you can try to duplicate that next time. I would also suggest if you have a cheaper guitar lying around, to use that as your 'test dummy' if you wanted to experiment with adjusting the neck etc. Even if you picked up a beater from a pawn shop to experiment on - that was you won't accidentally ruin your good player guitar.