Please help me with my gig rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by d0rkd0g, Feb 21, 2009.

1. d0rkd0g

d0rkd0g Member

My Line 6 Flextone 3 is about to give up the ghost - changes patches for no reason. I find that I only use 3 or 4 memory locations out of it anyway. Not all that great of a rig.

My question is what do I replace it with?

Here is what I need...

Rig must be light and portable - I have already had hernia surgery. I don't mind making a couple of trips to the car to bring it all in, but I cannot carry a 50-lb amp around anymore. I am not playing stadiums and can mic a smaller amp.

I think a single channel amp with good clean tone that works well with a couple pedals on the front end is the way to go. I am looking at the Radial Tonebone Trimode for the overdrive, putting a Line 6 Echo Park in its FX loop for the lead. Also looking at the Interstellar OD and possibly either the Line 6 MM or the Martin Quattro for modulation. I already have an echo park.

I need to have basically four tones available at the press of a footswitch (or two... or four) - clean rhythm (with or without chorus), clean boost lead, distorted (OD) rhythm, distorted lead boost with delay and a tinge of chorus. A little overall 'verb would be nice. Tremelo and any other stuff is nice but really is icing on the cake but I am not looking for a swiss army knife unless there is one out there that can do justice and not sound like a toy.

My guitar needs to sound like it does in the studio - samples here.

I tend towards Marshall-type rhythm crunch tones and I like a snappy clean rhythm. Lead-wise, I need a twangy lead for fills and for an overdriven lead, I tend to fall in the Gilmour/Justin Hayward category (melodic slow leads). I am not looking to get a particular artist's tone, but I am looking to get in the range so I can tweak out what I want.

This is what I have tried in the past (and present) with less than excellent results:

1. Line 6 Flextone III with shortboard - just seems lifeless and dry to me. Plus, it's dying. Changes my patch at random :(
    2. Fender HRD with various pedals at the front end or FX loop - the HRD did not seem to respond to pedals very well.
    3. Fender HRD with GT3? ugly yellow Multi FX - sucked all the tone out whether engaged or not.
    4. POD with HRD - same as #3.
    5. POD with Fender Passport - would not cut into a mix. Blah.

I play classic rock and Christian worship music; I use Carvin DC400 solidbody and AE185-12 Acoustic-electric 12-string (I like the Byrds) almost exclusively.

I am considering a Fender Champ, Princeton, or something similar. Is there anything else out there? I don't mind spending a little for the right rig, but I don't want to spend bucketloads of money to try out different stuff anymore.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Landon Johnson

2. doc

doc Member

If you're ALWAYS miked up I'd probably just get a Champ, put a Weber (the 150 model with the big magnet) in there and have a tech install the Area 51 fixed bias mod. No effects loop, so your modulation effects will have to be on the signal from the microphone (which is better anyway). Really punchy, great tube tone in a easily portable package.

3. Bottle_Rocket

Bottle_Rocket Member

DRRI will work for you.

4. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

I will definitely look for a DRRI and then put together some great OD boxes for all your flavors of dirt.

5. mainly

mainly Member

mark IV short head and a 1X12 mesa cab (theile?)

both light as a feather, and great clean, crunch and lead.