please help me with the ordering of my dirt pedals!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by john beddoe, Feb 9, 2012.

1. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

Hi guys. I'm sorry to be digging up old stuff but i'd really love some input on ideas/ordering to use my pedals.

I have a:-
    fulldrive 2 (from 98' FM modded non mosfet/comp cut)
    skreddy screwdriver
    xotic EP
    Timmy pedal (on the way!)

I play all types of electrics (strat, les paul with p90s, yamaha msg and epiphone ES-339) going into a trace elliot velocette- a class A 2 x10 30 watter.

I am the singer/guitarist of a soul/blues/jazz band so i play with a clean sound whilst i sing most of the time and want to play with both dirt and clean (when doing more jazzy stuff) when i get to soloing.

Yes, i know, experiment, experiment, experiment and i will/do but sometimes i just feel retarded and don't know what i'm doing!

i wanted to use a pedal always on to get the amp to the point of break up but i guess i'll then get an overdriven sound when i play rhythm so...um...maybe i can't do this?

I want to use one pedal to give me more volume (boosting both clean and OD sound) perhaps one as a conditioner (always on) if necessary.

maybe i don't need both the fulldrive and screwdriver on my board for this band/gigs.

Any of you guys out there in a similar position playing clean funky rhythms/dirt solos with similar pedals/gear want to help me out?

sorry for the rambling :)

2. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

I say full drive (base tone) - Screwdriver (lead/dirty tone) - Timmy pedal (EQ always/always on grit/or lead boost) - and EP (end of chain always on buffer or lead boost on top of the rest). There's no right or wrong answer though.

3. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

thanks mate that makes some sense. The only thing is, for my base tone playing rhythm it needs to be clean or very close to it. I think many people here are having a dirty sound as their base tone, or perhaps i'm wrong!
    I guess i could get the fulldrive to be on comp/cut as a first in the line booster to jack the amp to just below break up....mmmm...

thanks heaps for your input

4. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Use the Timmy as your base sound tone. I have my Tim on a preset with my JSX's clean channel. Sometimes I can't tell it's on but, when I strum or dig into the strings hard enough, I hear the Tim shine.

5. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

cool jb4674! I'll try that with the timmy when it comes in a few days. When people talk about a base tone pedal, is it the first pedal the guitar sees or the amp sees? the latter seems to make sense...

if thats the case, i have a tremolo and delay pedal..would i put the timmy at the end after these?

6. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

i have a sunface NKT275 white dot too but hey i think thats just going to do my head in working out how to use all these pedals in one gig. hahaha

7. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

anyone else got a suggestion? i wont be putting the fuzz into the equation

8. ianb

ianb Member

My suggestion would be:

guitar > overdrives/distortions first > Timmy (set to very low gain, always on as tone shaper/enhancer) > EP engage voor volume boost when neccessary > amp

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  9. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

thanks for your help you ian. this is emerging as a good option for me....just waiting on the timmy to try it all out..and at band volumes which makes all the difference

10. jgribble57

jgribble57 Member

My suggestion would be to try every option. With four pedals I believe there are 24 different ways you could arrange them. In about two hours you could know every option there is and decide which works best for YOUR needs.

You will need to be organized or you'll end up doing the same combinations, so I'd suggest numbering your pedals (in your mind) and doing something like (each group of numbers is one way to arrange and the different lines are just different first pedals):

1234---->1243---->1324---->1342---->1423---->1432
    2134---->2143---->2314---->2341...etc.
    3124---->3142.....etc.

Sorry if this suggestion doesn't help, but if you feel like you don't know what you are doing this a systematic approach that might help you feel a little more in control of your gear.

11. jgribble57

jgribble57 Member

And a more general advice:
    Generally a cleaner pedal put earlier in the chain will end up creating more distortion since it will boost the next pedal creating more distortion. Put it later in the chain and you will get more volume and less distortion.

12. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

cheers jgripple57, i like your mathematical approach! I'll do it when the timmy comes in the next day or so...thanks again