Please help me with this bizarre script phase 90

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gwhit256, May 20, 2015.

1. Gwhit256

Gwhit256 Member

[​IMG] Okay, while the forums were down i took a risk buying this; thought the power adaptor was modded or just really old; turns out its really old, the pots date it to 1974 (10th week) and there's no option for a battery on this!! Im gonna include as many photos as possible just for any one to comment as to what the trouble may be.. No loose wires or chips, tried adjusting the trim to see if had been changed, all im getting is a steady "bump" noise, no static or signal but just a steady bumping, whether with a boss/Dunlop/ singled out onespot. Was wondering regardless if anybody else had seen one with this type of power adaptor or has any info on what id be safest using/looking to fix??
    The power supply is on top and definitely was never on the sides or anywhere else..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^the ahead of its time power adaptor?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Possible grounding issue?? No difference in the popping sound when I roll the knob either way..

Thanks for everyone's time and anyone's help or advice.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Is there a battery option?

The trim pot needs to be swept really slowly. There is one spot where it will function correctly.
    There is a small chance with a squirrelly AC jack like that someone fed it AC power or reverse polarity or too much juice and fried something.

Nothing about any of those pics makes me think it is an actual '74 vintage unit.

Google images for vintage phase 90 and you will notice the blue 1% metal film resistors aren't usually. They are typically 5% carbon comp resistors. And I don't see the classic inspection label. And even if that were an actual CTS pot, it would not be that shiny and the neither would the nuts and washers.

Unfortunately, you may have bought a reissue with a hack job AC jack. Not a total loss, I think we can pool the brain trust and get it working.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Gwhit256 likes this.
  3. Gwhit256

Gwhit256 Member

I see what you mean about it compared to other units. So they must've removed the battery option away altogether and added this ac jack as an alternative on an old script? Idc about resale too much. I got it to compare to my old vintage block phase 100 and I like the 90.. Thanks for the reply

4. Bshecko

Bshecko Member

They date pots in the reissue this way too. Looks like someone replaced the battery lead with a 9 volt adapter. I would make sure you're properly supplying power to the pcb. Unfortunately this is probably a reissue (which is also an amazing pedal).

Gwhit256 likes this.
  5. Gwhit256

Gwhit256 Member

Okay no problem also. Didn't know they dated it the same, good to know, just figured they'd throw in the LED on most reissues. But I don't doubt anything your saying I enjoyed the new phase 90 so reissue or not if, if I can get it working it would be a pleasure. I greatly appreciate the advice again I need to get a voltmeter..

6. Gwhit256

Gwhit256 Member

Now seeing how some of the reissues don't have the LED or adaptor. The output jack is putting out signal; it seems to be something with the power to the input, the person didn't put a plastic "sleeve" on the outside of the adaptor and I've read that the metal isn't the right polarity/prevents it from being properly grounded/somethin? Does the red wire need to be so loose?

7. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

That sure looks like the '74 reissue, not a vintage unit.

Gwhit256 likes this.
  8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Indeed it looks like a recent 1974 Handwired (CSP-026) model. The adapter jack has simply been wired in place of the battery clip (probably using the battery clip wires). Before attempting to power it up with an adapter, you need to make very sure how the adapter jack is wired. Since it isn't designed for adapter use, I'm not sure there's any polarity protection present, so if you get it wrong, it could get expensive...

If the red wire corresponds to the center pin, you need a reverse polarity converter to power it. Normally, the positive voltage is carried on the barrel/sleeve, which means adapter jacks need to be isolated from the box (otherwise the positive would go straight to ground). If this one doesn't have a plastic sleeve to isolate it from the box, it most likely is wired center positive (reverse from normal).

If it were mine, I'd replace the adapter jack with a plastic unit with a switch for the sleeve/barrel connection, add a battery clip to allow for battery power as well and add some form of polarity protection. But if you get the powering bit right, and make sure you don't accidentally muck about with the power, it will work as is. Just don't sell it on without informing the buyer that it needs special attention...

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Gwhit256 likes this.
  9. Nilo

Nilo Member

Just to be clear. You are using the foam wrapped around the PCB Right? Otherwise the PCB would short out against the chassis.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Gwhit256 likes this.
  10. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Absolutely nothing about that looks like an old pedal. Reissue for sure.

Gwhit256 likes this.
  11. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

this is what a 1975 Phase 90 looks like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gwhit256 likes this.
  12. TheoDog

Thanks for those pics Coldacre. I love vintage guts.

Stinkfoot is the main man with the info.

If I had the pedal in my hands, I would remove the AC Jack from the chassis and use a battery snap adapter (Visual sound CBAT) and a 9 volt battery to test it.
    And of course, we already know the trip pot is out of spec, so there's that to sort out.

Gwhit256 and Coldacre like this.
  13. Bshecko

Bshecko Member

What he said. Get a battery snap back in it and test it with a battery. I wouldn't power it up with your current jack. I screwed up the transistors in my first phase 90 clone by improperly powering the pcb.

Gwhit256 likes this.
  14. Gwhit256

Gwhit256 Member

Thanks so much everyone! Funny how much info I get from people that ARENT getting paid to help compared to Dunlop (who said "uhh, sounds like it should work") or my local music store (uhh, maybe call Dunlop...)
    Let's assume worst case scenario and that I may have blown something. Are there any pictures of what the diode would look like if it was blown? Thanks again guys.

15. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The trouble is, there isn't any protection diode in that circuit. So you need to verify if the red wire connects to the center pin (which I suspect it does) and make sure the adapter is oriented the same way (center positive, if my hunch is correct).

16. Gwhit256

Gwhit256 Member

Sorry for dumb question but by center pin do you mean the center pin in the adaptor?

17. TheoDog

The plot thickens.
    Here's some pics of mine that I suspect to be near the FF666 one.
    notable differences, I don't have any interior labels besides the silver serial number. My solder joints look natural, whereas FF's look filed or ground flat.

I am confused that there is a Rev B and Rev C on the same PCB.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So, the OP has a modded version of the reissue. The one referenced above is just the straight up, modern Phase 90.

19. TheoDog

Seems like I put my post in the wrong "odd phase 90 thread"
    After I uploaded pics.

20. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Yup, the center pin in the adapter jack. If it corresponds to the red wire, that's where the positive voltage needs to go. In that case, you need to make sure the plug carries the positive on the center (reverse from normal Boss etc standard).