Please help me with this bizarre script phase 90

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gwhit256, May 20, 2015.

1. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

And that would mean powering it with a plugged in standard Boss type strategy might have fried something. I might survive reverse polarity from a battery, but any significant miliamps would be worrisome.

2. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

Anyone here performed the TBP mod to a Phase 90 Handwied 74' CS ? Any tonal change?

Mine has a defective switch, so it would be a 2 in 1 solution repairing it and doing the TBP mod.

3. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I would just get a Phase 95 for 75 bucks used or whatever. Same script reissue.

I actually still have a vintage 70s Phase 90, and still tossed it aside for the 95, just for the better power, true bypass and tiny footprint, not to mention the three other phaser circuits you get for free, essentially. I would have wanted to mod my original anyway. Was ultimately too lazy.

Only downside to that pedal is the LED which is like a searchlight you can't turn off even with the pedal bypassed. Orange duct tape, lol.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  4. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

@stinkfoot

5. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Looks similar (like almost identical)
    To the date pot in my phase 45 custom shop reissue.

I’m guessing yours is also a reissue of some type .... the date pots are confusing but yours doesn’t look 1974 to me.

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I bought the Whirlwind Rochester Series Orange Box, which is the original script Phase 90 circuit, with added LED and true bypass switching. It is awesome, it was designed by a guy from the original MXR company (two of my three Rochester series pedals have his signature in metallic ink inside the back plate, so they are the very early ones). I got all of mine in like new condition with box and papers, and paid roughly half of the new price for them on Ebay. I recommend the Orange Box over the Dunlop CS Phase 90, and the other two Rochester Series pedals are just as awesome. I just wish they would make a Phase 45 in that series, I had to buy the Dunlop MXR handwired one for that sound, and I think I like the Phase 45 better than the Phase 90 for most stuff.
    Al

Dannyz likes this.
  7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I have a simple guide here: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/537. It's for a 1976 Handwired Dynacomp, but the principle is the same. The circuit output wire may be a different colour (purple instead of brown), but as long as you identify the main input and output wires, the only remaining wire on the stock switch will be the circuit output.

The pedal's tone won't change at all from the mod - when switched on it's exactly the same as with the stock setup. The bypass tone should improve, though, depending on where in the chain it is placed (if it is currently placed where the pickups see it head on, the difference will be noticeable, while if it sits after a buffer you may not notice any change at all).

analogmike, monty and Dannyz like this.
  8. beej

beej Supporting Member

I have an original 70's script and the reissue, both of which I put a power jack, clickless true bypass switch, and LED in. Can't say I noticed any difference. (Though the two pedals do sound slightly different from one another.)

Dannyz likes this.