PLEASE HELP!!! Questions about my new DRRI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by auffredou, Jan 22, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

So I just got a brand new DRRI shipped to me, because my other one was having problems. (yes, I bought it from guitar center, but they sent me a new one no questions asked) To start with, it came missing the fuse which is obviously a problem. My other concern, though, is the back of the amp. I know next to nothing about the technical side of amps, I just play them. I dont remember the one I had looking like this though, so Ill try to explain the best I can. Im not sure what it is between the glass tubes and the metal covered tubes, but it seems like it may be crooked and touching the speaker. There are actually two metal "boxes" I guess (?, like I said, I dont know what they are) in that area, and they both seem crooked, along with the first glass tube. I tried to capture it the best I could in some pictures. Please help, thanks in advance!!!!

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4141/dscn0443mw0.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4213/dscn0444vs8.jpg

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Those two metal 'boxes' are the choke and the output transformer.They look like the mounting tabs have been bent by the amp being dropped on its' side.There may be damage elsewhere,or the amp may just be fine.I personally would not accept it and ask for another one.I know it's frustrating,but you may have problems in the future with an amp that has obviously been dropped 'HARD' on one side.
    You have every right to demand another one.

3. auffredou

auffredou Member

thanks psychonoodler. the guys there have been VERY cool with me in the past. If i am amp-less for another two weeks or whatever, Id be happier than if i discover damage down the road, or even if I dont and Im just wondering all the time if somethings wrong because of that. I already called and told them about the fuse (which by the way I found in the box, absolutley crushed, which reinforces that it was dropped), but I may also just say "hey I hate to be such a pain, but I think this thing got kinda damaged in the shipping" and just see what they say.

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

and i tend not to be as assertive as I should be sometimes, but hey, I figure if im paying this much for a "new" amp I have the right to recieve it in "new" condition.

5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Send 'em that picture and insist they send you a new amp. MF is usually very good about returns.

I received an amp from them a couple months ago and the reverb pan was completely dissassembled, flopping around loose and hanging on by the cables that plugged into the chassis. WTF??

6. auffredou

auffredou Member

so heres the deal. guitar center was pretty cool about it, they ordered me a new one direct from fender, rather than from another store this time, so that there was one less shipping point to go through. they let me keep this one for now too, and it seems to work, although the guy agreed that if im gonna be spending the money I should have a perfect one.

I have a question/concern though...can these amps vary as far as the "fizz" that everyone talks about from amp to amp? While Im just using this one for now, it is my second, because like I said it was meant to be a replacement for my first one that had a problem. I am getting no fizz with this amp with my OD pedals, it actually sounds great. The last one, with the same settings, sounded like crap and drove me to buy a new speaker. Can they vary this much amp to amp? This makes me worried that the new one theyre shipping in, while being in better condition, may sound worse :(

Or for all I know it could sound even better, but it makes me wonder.

7. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

They're just stock tubes, but on my DRRI, the two 6V6's are the blue Groove Tubes. Do you remember what color your original amp's tubes were?

8. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

If I were you I would send it back and get your money back. Either get an SF DR or maybe something from Allen amps. The drri is ok, but not like a real one.