Please Help. R8 strap peg screw problem.

bassethound

The screw holding in the strap peg on the butt end of my R8 just crapped out, seems like it won't even fit in the hole anymore (that's what she said:banana). Any ideas on fixes? Thanks.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
Those strap buttons regularly pull out of the wood on alot of guitars. The wood strips or something. But I'm not sure what you mean by it not even fitting into the hole anymore???

bassethound

Those strap buttons regularly pull out of the wood on alot of guitars. The wood strips or something. But I'm not sure what you mean by it not even fitting into the hole anymore???
It just slides in without any resistance, I guess the hole is stripped. I did a search and I keep getting the old "toothpick and glue" advice. I suppose I'll give it a shot unless anyone has any other suggestions.

gkoelling

Toothpick and wood glue, put the screw back in while the glue is wet. The glue/toothpick will fill in around the screw threads and hold quite well. You will also have no problems if you need to remove it in the future.

I've had to do this more than once, it works.

aparnell

you can actually glue in a couple of toothpicks to give the screws something to bite into.
What he said,
Cut up a toothpick, take some wood glue if you need it and put the screw back in.
I have had the same problem many times and this is what I do these days and it works fine for me.
When I was much younger, I took some liquid nails, filled up the hole and put the screw back in. Years later I had some work done on the guitar and got the craziest look from a luthier:messedup

Bhodie

Be sure to use round hardwood tooth picks.. (any grocery store will have them) Not the soft wood flat ones.. a drop of super glue on the end before you put them in also works well..

VanR

I just take a round toothpick, dip one end in wood glue and shove it in the hole and break it off even with the body. Screw the strap button on. They hold for years that way.

b2sc

Truth be told, gluing toothpicks are somewhat of a jury-rig fix.

The correct method (as in how pro's do it) to repair a stripped out strap button is drill the stripped button hole "slighlty" larger with an elec. drill, test fit a wood dowel (found at hobby storees, hardware stores, etc...) so when it's in the hole, it's flush with the guitar body finish. Then using wood glue, glue the tight fitting dowel into the hole so it's flush with the body of the guitar.

Let the dowel dry overnight and in the morning, drill a new screw hole and affix your strap button into virgin wood. The button will cover the dowel and it'll be stronger than new.

Drew68

Silver Supporting Member
There's always the Zakk Wylde fix:

It may be ugly but it ain't goin' nowhere!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Truth be told, gluing toothpicks are somewhat of a jury-rig fix.

The correct method (as in how pro's do it) to repair a stripped out strap button is drill the stripped button hole "slighlty" larger with an elec. drill, test fit a wood dowel (found at hobby storees, hardware stores, etc...) so when it's in the hole, it's flush with the guitar body finish. Then using wood glue, glue the tight fitting dowel into the hole so it's flush with the body of the guitar.

Let the dowel dry overnight and in the morning, drill a new screw hole and affix your strap button into virgin wood. The button will cover the dowel and it'll be stronger than new.
this keeps coming up :mad:

end-grain dowels like you find at the hardware store are weak in that direction, don't do it. wood toothpicks with lots of wood glue and cranking the screw in while still wet is stronger.

Trending Topics