Please help save my gear!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CatStrangler, Dec 19, 2009.

1. CatStrangler

CatStrangler Member

I'm having a really hard time getting the sound I want out of my currrnt setup. I think it may be the amp but not sure. It is a Traynor ycv40wr. I replaced the stock speaker with a Weber ceramic silver bell. The mids on the amp are so subdued and the highs are screechy and I can't seem to dial out the one dimensionality of the sound. Is it the amp or my git-fiddles or me? I know I should go to stores and try some stuff out..but I have a serious lack of time for that stuff and would rather "tweak" in private as I find it can take some to learn about a particular piece. is it time for a new amp? was considering the Reason Bambino. Thanks, Phil

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Try a new amp.

3. gasjunkie

gasjunkie Member

4. CatStrangler

CatStrangler Member

gasjunkie-I think this problem between me and the amp has always been here and now I'm fed up. The weber certainly helped..but the mids are just too tight. Do new tubes really make a big difference? would certainly be easier on the wallet. Thanks for your suggestions.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Might try a WGS ET-65. Cheap enough to try. Smooth top end and warm,full mids. Bob

6. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Try a different guitar. Or is fairly one dimensional regardless of the guitar used?

7. dughaze

dughaze Member

Yes, what guitar and pickups are you using?

8. CatStrangler

CatStrangler Member

I'm using an lp standard with Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pickups. The guitar sounds bright and responsive acoustically...the highs and lows are there I just feel like there's a blanket over the mids which improves a little bit as the volume knob is turned up, but the highs get to be a bit much and lows get boomy. seems like a compromise no matter which way I dial it.

9. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I tried the Wolfetone Dr Vintage pups in my Les Paul and I found them quite BRIGHT and a little scooped. There's a couple of things you can try before you change pickups. Not sure what caps you are using in your guitar, or what wiring, but you might want to try the RS Guitarworks upgrade kit. Get the one with the 50's (vintage) wiring and the Luxe caps. The older style wiring will allow you to bring out more tonal options and the Luxe caps add some very nice mids to your tone. If that doesn't do the trick for you, try switiching your pickups to Throbaks or Shep's. I currently have Shep's in my LP with the RS Guitarworks Vintage upgrade kit (Luxe caps). Pretty much gives me all of the quintessential LP tones at my fingertips.
    If you are set on keeping the amp, I would switch the power tubes to TAD 6L6WGC-STR's and change the pre amp tubes to the Tung Sol 12AX7's. The TAD's will give you a nicer mid presence and a silky top end, while the Tung-Sol's will add some clarity. My speaker choice would be the Celestion G12-65.

:)