Please Help! Should I sell off my DD-20 and Strymon Brig to get a Timeline?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by talanzdad, Jan 28, 2012.

Should I "upgrade" from a DD-20 and Brig to a Timeline?

Poll closed Dec 31, 1969.
  1. Duh!

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. What's stopping you?

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. You should've done it already!

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  4. Quit GASsing and go play your guitar!

29 vote(s)
    58.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. talanzdad

talanzdad Member

So I so wanted to be done with my gas... but the guy playing lead for us this Sunday is a long time friend and the ease at which he used the timeline seems so much easier than having two different delay's for different features.

So if I sold the DD-20 plus the external tap tempo for $200 then sold my brig with Favorite switch for $250 I would only need to find a Timeline... I would also free up some space on my board seeing as the Timeline is smaller than a dd-20 and I would gain all the space from the Brig and the tap and the fav switch...

Should I just stick with what I have? Is there a logical reason not to "upgrade"? Please help!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

The Timeline would be a great upgrade. I still have my DD-20, as well as all of my other delays, but that's because I don't sell pedals unless I have to. But the Timeline could easily be a replacement for the DD-20 and Brig. I don;t have a Brig but the Timeline seems to have most, if not all, of the features the Brig itself has with the dBucket mode. Plus the other 11 modes and the looper.

So yes, I think unloading those 2 pedals to get a Timeline would be smart. But I would also plan on getting some sort of MIDI controller. The patch switching in the Timeline is not easy for live use if you have to switch banks between songs. Even just a MIDI Mouse or something would be a great benefit. The MIDI implementation of patches by Strymon on the Timeline is really my only gripe. It;s kind of lame and not really standardized.

Also, I doubt you will get $200 for the DD-20 w/ a Tap switch. I would think closer to $150 for the DD-20 and about $200 for the Brig w/ Favorite. I think both would sell pretty quickly at that price. $150 with the Fav switch for the Brig is way cheap. It will sell quick though...

3. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Oh and a heads up- someone in the Emporium is looking to buy a DD-20 and pay up to $140. Not a bad price, so you could maybe have your DD-20 sold easy enough.

Just a little heads up for ya...

4. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Naaa... Just get an El Cap & a ML Jr.!

5. thesooze

thesooze Member

I went from a DD-20 + El Cap to a Timeline; no regrets. Give it a try!

6. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

You sold your Brig for $150?

F*ck.

7. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

8. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

no. i got rid of my Timeline for a DD20.

9. talanzdad

talanzdad Member

Anyone else have an opinion?

10. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I have a TimeLine, an Empress VMSD, a DD-20, and a Carbon Copy. (I also had an El Capistan but sold it.) They are all fun, good sounding delays. If i could have only one delay, it would be the TimeLine.

However, the problem with the TimeLine is its complexity. The DD-20 (and my other delays and my old El Cap) are much easier to dial in and operate. But GAS is a curious thing. If there is any way you could spend some time with a TimeLine, you could then decide if the switch is worth it.

11. talanzdad

talanzdad Member

Didn't think No would be winning?

12. apitakos

apitakos Member

I've been thinking about getting rid of my timeline and going to an el capstan and a ml2

13. dankmyers

dankmyers Member

I have the same setup. I'd probably trade them across for a Timeline if someone offered, but mostly just knowing that I could get the DD-20 and Brig again if I wasn't happy. The DD-20 and Brig sound great together and offer a pretty huge range of delay: perfect for P&W stuff. Keep 'em!

14. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

I'm a P&W guy. Here's what I found.

The Timeline is great, no doubt about it... But I just sold mine this weekend, and bought an El Cap. I plan on running the El Cap and Timefactor on my board (which was what I sold to pick up a Timeline). There are too many hoops to jump through to get the same delay that I could get out of the Timefactor. I attribute that to less menus and more controls on the front of the pedal to begin with. Secondly, the LED readout is HUGE on the Timefactor and you can name presets... and the pedal is a much more solid build than the Timeline... and I wasn't using the Ice, Swell (I have a volume pedal), Trem, or Filter functions all that much to justify keeping the TL.

So yes, GAS is a curious thing, and I think you'd like the Timeline. But for me, I'm going to the El Cap and Timefactor - that was the delay arsenal that I had and was the absolute happiest! Best of luck!

Edit: WOW! Just saw the poll results. That's a great indicator for you :aok

15. talanzdad

talanzdad Member

16. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

So, I was running a brig and DD20 for most of last year... then when the timeline came along, I sold the dd20 and bought a timeline. I kept the Brigadier because I won it in a contest and I'm sentimental, i guess.

Anyway, after a couple of months, I sold the Timeline and I just re-bought another DD20. For me... I mainly use cleanish digital delays and ambient analog delay sounds. And my Blue Sky does a better job of the Ice sound... at least as I use it.

I really intended to use all of the other cool features in the Timeline, but it was just too much work to get all of the presets nailed down. In essence, I was running the timeline as a DD20 emulator.... and there's something super user friendly and easy to use about the DD20 that I missed... the big boss foot pedals... the accurate tap averaging. And for all of my ambient analog reverb sounds, I LOVE the form factor of the Brig... especially after you put big 1.25 inch knobs on the repeats and mix.

17. talanzdad

talanzdad Member

My main gripe with the brig is that ai can't sync the tap with my dd-20... I hate that!