Please kind help needed: Gibson C.S.Johnny A Sig. stoptail version vs. bigsby version

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Madcap, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Madcap

Madcap Member

Hello everybody out there :)
    I have no chances to compare the two versions so please I'm looking for a kind help from who had the chance to compare the Gibson Johnny A stoptail version with the relevant bigsby version: tonewise what about the main differences between them ?
    Perhaps the stoptail version has more sustain and a fuller tone with more dynamic and attack than the bigsby version ??
    Any kind help will be appreciated very much :confused:

2. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

the bigsby has more mass than a stoptail, so i'm guessing the bigsby version would have the attributes you describe below over the stop tail.

3. Madcap

Madcap Member

Please, did anybody have the chance to play the above mentioned Gibson Johnny A models ?? :confused:

4. lpnv59

lpnv59 Supporting Member

Having the chance to "test drive" both extensively I can say first hand that there is no loss in sustain from the Bigsby model vs the "stoptail". In fact the Bigsby tailpiece having more mass (especially on a hollow bodied guitar) may actually enhance sustaining properties. So it comes down to a personal choice for you as to wanting the option of having a vibrato equipped guitar or not.

5. tvegas99

tvegas99 Supporting Member

I owned a JA w/bigsby for about 6-9 mos. and I really loved it...in the end I sold it and immediately bought a JA stoptail (which I still have).

Keeping the JA w/bigsby in tune was really the only thing that made me sell it, bending strings on it and it staying in tune was impossible for me. The subtle wash of the bigsby is quite intoxicating but the downside was not worth it.

I think the JA's have an incredible range of sounds, from heavy rock to country to jazz...I think it's an amazing versatile guitar. Both instruments have such clear tight lows and beautiful sweet highs. I feel like they display a larger spectrum of sound than most guitars. Sound, feel and vibe is just killer on these guitars!

My JA Stoptail is a lil' tighter, maybe more articulate with a quicker attack. More sustain, less sustain...hard to say. It stays more focused with the heaviest rock sounds I use compared to the bigsby. They both sound exceptional.

I think if you play out... the bigsby might be too much trouble, I guess Johnny A doesn't have any problem with them, I have no idea how he bends, warbles and wobbles without huge tuning issues.

I highly recommend both of them!! The only thing else in the same ballpark for me is a Collings I-35 or an Artinger.

Best of luck!:AOK

6. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I absolutely love my Johnny A with Bigsby. The G and B strings can be a little trouble some if you haven't had a chance to stretch out the strings, but once you've played for a little while they cause little problems. I also played a stoptail and didn't feel I was getting anything more in terms of sustain or focused projection. These guitars are extremely versatile. You get the singing quality of a 335and the twang of a tele.

[​IMG]

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I've had a Bigsby 335 style guitar. It stayed in tune. The key is the nut slots have to be wider than the strings and have a little graphite lubricant. It is probably a $40 at the most charge at a guitar shop.