Please put my OD's on an order

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pulse., Jun 12, 2008.

1. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

Hi! My question is, which one you think
    is the best order for my od's and why?
    The pedals are the following:
    Lovepedal COT 50 gold
    Lovepedal roadhouse eternity
    Keeley Ds1
    Analogman Ts9 Silver
    Analogman Sunlion
    Fulltone Fatboost

2. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

People are going to give you a million different answers, and the only good one is to try it out.

Figure out your stacks and work from there.

I assume that the ds1 and ts9 are not tb, so, you may want to put those either at the end or bounding either end depending who you ask.

But again, try it.

3. dave s

dave s Member

Here's a start, but you have to play the 'shell game' with pedals to see what works best. Start (from guitar with) with:

highest gain (fuzz) on down the line to the Fatboost (clean boost) last.

dave

4. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Low gain to high gain is usually the answer you'll get here, but I've found that the pedal with the most bass normally sits well at the end irespective of gain. I run TS9 > drivemaster > OD3 > MD2, even though I have the drivemaster set with a higher level of gain than the OD3 it still sounds better that way.

5. pulse.

The order right now is:
    Sunlion - Ds1 - Cot - Eternity - Ts9 - Fatboost.
    But I really like the beano as volume boost with the eternity
    and cot is always on with very light touch of "bias" about 10 o'clock.

6. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

Sunlion>COT>TS-9>Eternity>DS-1>Fat Boost

That gives you a volume boost for leads with the Fatboost. The COT is early enough in the chain that it effects all but the Sunlion, which IMO doesn't need to be boosted. The E would sound great being pushed by the COT and the Beano. The TS-9 and the E are probably pretty much interchangable, so see if the E into TS-9 sounds better than TS-9 into E. If neither sounds particularly good, it doesn't matter what order they're in, buffer issues not withstanding. The DS-1 being the highest gain pedal, would be better as your last true drive pedal (the fatboost isn't being used as a drive in this case). JMO. YMMV.

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Precisely!

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

A couple of points:

You will probably want to make sure the Sunlion is near or at the beginning of the chain, and not put any buffered pedals between it and your guitar - The Sunface side will not clean up as well otherwise.

Get the COT as close to the beginning of the chain as you can - IMO it sounds like do-do when stacked with another OD in front of it, but killer when it comes first in a stack, so the closer it is to the front of the chain the more stacks you will have with it.

There was a thread awhile back that explained that the Eternity likes it when it is followed by a buffered pedal - I don't remember the exact details, but several E users said it made a big difference for the better. I don't think it is necessary to have the buffered pedal on, just as long as it is after the E.

I generally like to place my fuzz first, and then follow with OD's from lowest gain to highest gain.

Experimentation is king - use the suggestions by myself and others as a starting point, but find out what works best for you by spending time shuffling your pedals around. It is time consuming, but often you can discover some really cool combinations that go against popular doctrine.

Have fun! :AOK

9. pulse.

Thanks guys I'll try it and let you know

10. pulse.

Thanks guys, this order of the pedals is killer,
    very versatile.
    I have another question too. Should I put
    a Moogerfooger Low pass filter after the Sunlion?
    I'm also planning to purchase a Hog, where should
    I put it?
    Thanks