PLEASE reccommend a GREAT Triangle Big Muff Clone!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I have an Anlog Man Sun Face NKT275, a D*A*M MKII and I'd like to complete a hat trick with a REALLY good Triangle Big Muff clone to complete my classic fuzz collection. Looking for an "original design", pre-chip based Big Muff which was also called the Guild Foxey Lady.

I had a Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer years ago that I unfortunately sold. So what are the "best" ones to choose from these days...Skreddy?? I really want to get THAT sound, Fripp & Eno violin sustain with the same kind of tone knob sweep I remember.

:BOUNCE

2. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

Check out RonSound's Haripie Classic. The other one I've tried and liked is Dice Works' Muff Diver.

3. Dave

Dave Member

Skreddy Pink Flesh. Sadly, it's been discontinued though. :(

4. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

I second the RonSound.

5. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Glad I got my order in before he discontinued it.....

:drool

6. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

I have a 1971 BMP. The closest pedal I have found to it is a Diceworks Muff Diver. You can find them on e-bay. Sold by a "tbooster".

It is about 125.00 I think... it is a PNP device like the original. And although it uses newer transistors. it is as close as you can find. Especially at that price point.

There are several triangle devices on the market :)

Personally, I etched out a cloned PCB of my original and built my own clone with high quality parts. The hardest things to find in that case are the 2 SPT3607's and 2 SPT 87103's. You can find the 2N5133 transistors much easier than the SPT's. But, the SPT's ARE the v.1 triangle mojo parts. :)

-ZP

7. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Hmm I love that tone too. I get that sound with my Barber Trifecta or my Euthymia ICBM.

8. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

May I suggest the Sanford & Sonny Bluebeard

awesome sound and I think you'd get everything your looking for and more

9. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Skreddy seems to really focus on the muffs like no-one else. The Ge transistor problems may be causing a hiccup right now...hopefully not long term.

10. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

RonSound HairPie Classic (supposedly it was the basis for Jeff Ducette's Creamy Dreamer pedal)

11. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

12. riker4208

riker4208 Member

I'm nailing that biznatch with a skreddy mayo......it's shreddalicious

13. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I like my DIY triangle clone, same pcb layout and everything (that adds mojo donchaknow :).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mild

mild Member

Love that clone you made Sonic, looks the business! :AOK

Can someone tell me where to get in contact with Diceworks? They don't appear to have a website...

15. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

Yeah that build looks great SonicVI! :)

I know a lot of pedal builders say carbon comps don't matter, use metal film instead. But I can hear a smoother quality to the pedals that use carbon comps. I'll bet that's partly why the original Muff in that video link above sounds a bit smoother than the BYOC, which still sounds good but has more bite, slightly more aggressive to these ears.

16. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

Thanks! I don't know about their website, but you can find their pedals on ebay pretty much any time.

17. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I've been reading up about Triangle Muffs recently. According to Skreddy, the most important component choices for authentic Triangle Big Muff sound are the cheap ceramic caps, and in first place, the correct transistors (with the right Hfe). He didn't seem to think that carbon comps did much, but can be included for historical accuracy. In fact, there is no evidence that CC resistors add anything but noise and less precise values. Some people hear a difference, but I think that can be attributed to the low accuracy in actual resistance vs. marked resistance.

18. Zillie

Zillie Member

not sure, but I think that the basis for creamy dreamer was and old russian Muff... +1 for Hairpie and Muff Diver

19. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Well, if the schematic I have is right, the Creamy Dreamer is closer to a Triangle Muff, with a few mods. I'm not sure what transistors were used - perhaps high-gainers, rather than the vintage type. I'm just guessing.

20. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

It's not the trannies, but how they are biased. There are a few changes in the Creamy Dreamer mod, but 90% of the tone comes from lifting the biasing resistor from each of the first 3 transistors. This increases the gain and improves the punchiness. I just did it to my BYOC Ram's Head clone and I'm very happy with the results. I've also done it in the past to a green russian muff, where it was very effective.