• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Please recommend a 4-6 channel mixer for home use

vbf

I'm looking for a 4-6 channel mixer for home use. I'll primarily use it to run my MP3 and output from my guitar's amp sim to mix to jam to jam tracks, rehearse, etc. I also need a headphone jack. DSP isn't a necessity. Phantom power would be nice. I'm also looking for a small footprint...a stand alone unit, not a rack unit. If I ever decide to run monitors from the mixer they'll be low wattage and likely powered.

Can you good folks please recommend a good unit? I'm not looking for a "cheap" one but rather a good bang for the buck unit.

Thank you!!

RustyAxe

If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in PA gear I'd get a Behringer XR-18 (or XR-16). Lot of bang for the buck, and seem to be well received.

loudboy

The little notepad mixers from Soundcraft are cool. I think any of the mackie, Behringer, Alto, Yamaha ones would be fine also.

Go on CL or eBay and get something for $50.

vbf

If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in PA gear I'd get a Behringer XR-18 (or XR-16). Lot of bang for the buck, and seem to be well received.
Thanks to everyone for all your recommendations!! :aok

On the XR-18, does it include 48 v phantom power switchable via the app?

Used prices for mixers are quite attractive but leary of buying used electronics.....or should I be?

RustyAxe

On the XR-18, does it include 48 v phantom power switchable via the app?
Yes it does. The difference between the XR-18 and the XR-16, beside the additional inputs, is that the XR18 USB's output is 18 tracks of audio/midi, while the 16 (and 12) output two tracks of usb audio. The XR-18 would allow you to do live multi-track recording (18) that could be post-processed later. The others give you two tracks, L/R stereo, or distinct mono tracks (depending on how you've configured the DAW). From what I've read, you could simply plug a thumb drive into the USB port, and record the tracks directly to the thumb drive ... that's pretty convenient. The effects section is the same on all XR models, and seems to be pretty good.

I don't have one of these, but have researched them thoroughly. I just can't justify it when I have a perfectly functioning analog mixer, and do any of my recording with a Tascam DP24.

Used prices for mixers are quite attractive but leary of buying used electronics.....or should I be?
You need to be able to thoroughly test all the functions ... that takes a little time. Prices are great on analog mixers because there's a rush to go digital, and people are replacing what they've got.

vbf

Thanks a million, Rusty. It looks like the XR12 may be ideal for my needs. I'll keep reading up on those. The Yamaha and others mentioned above look pretty good too.

vbf

OK.....I purchased a Behringer XR12 from Sam Ash for $229, no tax, free shipping. :aok I think it's going to work out well for what I'll use it for.

Thanks again for all the help, advice, and suggestions everyone!!! I'll report back after I've had a chance to try it out.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
Peavey PV6 - they're awesome, bulletproof, and small. No built in effects, but 4 XLR ins and ability for monitor vs. main send through EFX send or panning. Phantom powered as well, and good sounding pres. I think I paid $50 for mine used, so great for the basement or a solo gig!

Reactions: vbf

Hfc7713

Peavey PV6 - they're awesome, bulletproof, and small. No built in effects, but 4 XLR ins and ability for monitor vs. main send through EFX send or panning. Phantom powered as well, and good sounding pres. I think I paid $50 for mine used, so great for the basement or a solo gig!
+1...... built like a tank with the nicest sounding preamps I have heard on something this small at this price point. Good quality feel to the knobs too. Great little mixers...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom