Please recommend a drive+boost for my jam board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bc-cosmo, Jan 24, 2008.

1. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

Hi all--I'm putting together a little board for going to local jams, just a tuner and a single OD+boost pedal. My main board has an Ethos, BB and RC. I ordered an AC Plus because of the promised flexibility but want to consider other options in case it's not quite right for me. I play mostly blues and R&B flavored jazz--I'm a big Ford/Carlton fan but also love the tone of Chris Cain, the Kings, etc. The jams I go to usually have decent Fender amps onstage, or I'll bring my SFPR.

What do you guys recommend?

2. rul8agn

rul8agn Member

Diamond J-Drive mk3, Fulldrive II, maybe a Zvex Box of Rock if a little more gain is needed. If I was just limiting myself to a tuner and OD+boost pedal it would definitely be the J-Drive and a Korg DT-10. The Diamond is very versatile and just sounds so good.

3. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

Similar to the Diamond J-Drive is the Burriss Boostiest. Great sounding two stage boost/OD pedal.

4. teXum

teXum Member

I'd like to suggest the BoR as well. Since I got it, I tend to let the board stay in its case at rehearsals, and just bring out the BoR. Really nice boost, VERY dynamic, and it does low gain sounds remarkably well, considering it's designed to mimic a Marshall JTM-45, which most people seem to connect with heavier, driven sounds.

Since your preferences seems to include more mid-heavy tones, I'd look into the typical tubescreamer-clones as well. For both od and boost in one pedal, I don't think you can do much better than the Analogman KoT, but of course, the two-year wait might cause trouble. Fulldrive II is an ok alternative.

5. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I am currently looking to decide on 3 od's for a board. I have settled on the Landgraff D'oD, and the OCD. I thought the third was going to be my Eternity, but after playing my Diamond J Drive, I am now undecided. The J Drive is a very good sounding pedal.

6. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

HBE Power Screamer with the optional Fat Boost & Burr Brown chip. With 3 selectable diodes & 2 selectable lead boosts, it'll cover a lot of ground... and it sounds great.

7. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

Hmmm--a lot of love for the J-Drive. I will definitely give it a spin. my bandmate loves the BOR, and I would like to try the KOT--if I could find one, that is. Thanks for the ideas, guys.
    :BEER