Please recommend a humbucker for a basswood body

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mike80, Jun 5, 2008.

1. mike80

mike80 Member

I'm finishing up the project V I've been working on, and the only thing left is a fret levelling and a pup change. I just threw a pair I had laying around in it for the time being.

Right now it has the old Epi bridge pup that came from my LP, which isn't very hot, but is way too bright in the basswood. I'd like something that won't be overly bright, and pretty hot. I have a JB, BB #3, and a Super Distortion in my main axes.

Any suggestions?

2. mike80

mike80 Member

Gee, nobody???

I thought there were some smart people around here. Nobody can give any suggestions?

If it were a Strat I'd have all kinds of suggestions.....

3. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

DiMarzio makes a lot of pickups suited towards basswood. A Tone Zone is in the same output range as a JB or a Super Distortion, maybe a hair lower but very thick and crunchy. If you need a neck pickup as well, a PAF Pro or Air Norton may be up your alley.

4. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Anderson H3 or HN3 in the bridge and an H1 in the neck.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

+1 for the Andersons. He has used basswood quite extensively with fantastic results. The same goes for John Suhr and his pickups.

6. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Try the Duncan Custom Custom.

I've used that in basswood and it worked well.

7. jumpskirt

jumpskirt Silver Supporting Member

Ernie Ball Axis (basswood body) guitars use Dimarzio pickups. According to Dimarzio the commercially available pickups closest to the ones used on the Axis are the Air Norton (Neck) and Air Zone (Bridge). They sound really, really good.

8. mike80

mike80 Member

Thanks all.

The thing I'm worried most about is having the pup be too bright, but I guess I could tame it down with a 250K pot or something.

I'm liking the idea about the Andersons, since I've heard very good things about them.

Then again, I've always had good luck with Dimarzio.

I was thinking about putting a JB in there, but I've heard they are very bright with alder bodies, so I'd hate to see how bright they are with a basswood body.

Well, I guess I've got a good starting point, so I'll do the thing anyone else would do....make a choice and dive right on in.

Thanks again friends.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Try here at GFS: http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html
    Don't be put off by the low price these are great units. Most of my 8 electric guitars have Basswood bodies (love the stuff); and I use GFS PUPS almost exclusively. There's something available for every project at a really decent price.

10. chone

chone Member