Please Recommend a Laptop for Recording that is Road Worthy

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Ken, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Ken

Ken Member

You know the old commerical about the watch, "It takes a beating but keeps on ticking". :eek:

What laptop would fit into that commerical?

I just saw a commerical for the new Think Pad...They look interesting...Looks like its a tough little guy for taking a beating on the road.

2. flicker180

flicker180 Member

panasonic tough books are generally good.

dave

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

4. flicker180

flicker180 Member

basically, you can also take steps to isolate and "ruggedize" your laptop....

somethings i've seen include a neoprene backing to the LCD panel (for shock), rubber corners added to the base and screen (superglued), etc. *shrug*

Personally, i've got a Toshiba Satellite A60 that's been dropped, kicked, etc. and still works great along with a Z81K Asus whitebook (a64 based) that is sturdy, etc.

either will cover ya real well.

dave

5. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Buy a Mac ibook (or powerbook if the $ is there) and put it in an anvil attache case with some quality rigid & soft foam. I've been doing this on the road weekly for about 2 years - it has taken a number of falls - one down a flight of stairs - and has never even hiccuped!

If you are also using an external drive for recording (a good idea) and some sort of mic pre take a look at the Gator cases. They've got some slightly larger cases that are really light and durable.

And yes - despite my financial advisors' whining - I did keep my Apple stock from the mid 80's.........

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Despite 1kidc's good experience, personally I would not recommend the iBook, Apple have had a lot of reliability problems with them, my G4 ibook is on it's 3rd drive and now it looks like the logic board is shot too.
    Plus it runs really hot.

If you are thinking about Apple then the Powerbook is the way to go if you *have* to have a laptop.

My advice would be look into the Mac Mini, they're cheap, higher spec than the iBook, way more robust and you could fit it and a flat screen into a laptop case easily.
    You will pay a premium for buying a computer in a laptop format, if you need a portable computer but not necessarily an all-in-one, the Mac mini would work well.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

No problems so far with our iBooks, one of which has been shlepped around my son's college campus for a year, and the other one has been dragged back and forth to my many meetings and sessions for about the same amount of time.

The Powerbooks have a shock mounted drive, if that makes any difference. I recently saw one fall off a table while operating, and it didn't flinch. I don't know about the iBooks having this feature.

At this point in time, my guess is that if you take reasonable care, and keep the thing in a padded case, you're good to go with most brands.