Please recommend a microphone

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mightypudge, Sep 25, 2004.

1. mightypudge

mightypudge Member

Recently I picked up a Rivera Suprema 1x12 combo and Rivera Los Lobottom Sub-1. For those not familiar, the Sub-1 is a 1x12 extension cabinet that acts as a subwoofer, featuring a built-in 300-watt solid state power amp and a JBL speaker.

For me, micing the Suprema 1x12 combo is as easy as putting my trusty SM57 in the sweet spot in front of the Vintage 30. However, micing the Sub-1 may also be necessary at certain larger clubs, as well as in the studio.

Folks at the Rivera forum recommended using an AKG D112 "football" on the Sub-1 about 2-3 inches from the speaker. But is that really the only option? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would need something that can handle the low frequencies dished out by the Sub-1.

2. heinz

heinz Guest

an sm57 rolls off the low end at around 100Hz, so not really an optimal mic for this application.

D2, D112, Audix D6, or even the reverse ns10 speaker-microphone are all good at capturing these frequencies IMO.

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Check out an ATM25 as well - terrific little mic. Great on kick and even didgeridoo.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

5. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

A large diapragm capacitor mic with a 10db pad will give you a smoother bass response than a dynamic mic.

My personal choice would be an AKG C3000

6. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

A beyer M88 will sound great as well. It is one of the most versitle mics you'll ever find. Great on kicks, guitar, bass and so many other sources.

JT

7. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Its also about the best dynamic vocal mic you can buy in my opinion.

8. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

I won't disagree with you on that either. It's a world class mic.

JT

9. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I tracked all the bass on our album with a Studio Projects C3. The C1 is a less expensive single-pattern version - I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work as well on the Los Lo and IIRC they're less than $200 on the street.

--chiba

10. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Member

If you've got the cash, check out the Royer R-121 ribbon mic. It's a fantastic mic for capturing low-end detail as well as an excellent mic for 4x12's. I had a matched pair that we used night and day on 4x12's, bass amps and as room mics. It can handle a ton of SPL and will make your sub come alive.

I've heard great things about the Beyer as well but I have no experience with it. The Royer is about a $900 mic and worth every penny.

Steve

11. Chiba

Chop, please let us know where you've found the R-121 for $900 - I've rarely seen it under a grand. TIA.

--chiba

12. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Member

Chiba,

I bought my matched pair from Westwood Music in LA for $1800 several years back. That included the AT shockmounts as well, but I could be wrong and the prices may have been raised since then (or I just got a smokin deal).

Steve

13. Chiba

Probably a combination of the two factors. The R-121s are right about $1100 now and the shockmounts are $200 a piece as well.

Still - great mics. My drummer has 2 R-122s and the sound really, really, REALLY good.

--chiba

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Royers are the bomb on guitar cabs.

You might also want to consider bumping up to a Soundelux ifet7. It's a fet 47 and an 87 all in one. Super versatile IMO, and will cover that low end like nobody's business :)

Good luck.

15. bigroy

bigroy Member

Sennheiser 421

16. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

dingdingding! This man is correct! It'll give you a nice smooth bass response without the flabbiness of a large-diaphragm condenser. The D12 is another good option, but i personally dislike the D112 intensely - sounds like @$$ to my ears :(