please recommend a neck pu for my H-535

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gtrchris, Jul 22, 2008.

1. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

Hey folks, I've had a 535 for about a year and I love it. It has a stock Schaller bridge which is great- a nice bit of bite and snarl, but my problem is finding a complimentary neck pu. I've tried a few pu's so far a Harmonic Designs p-90 which is nice but i think a little too smooth for this guitar. It had a SD '59(which was in the guitar when I got it-used)which had a nasally/compressed tone about it. Any suggestions on a pickup that would be able to get a nice hb smokey jazz tone but also respond to OD for fusion jazz/carlton-y stuff?
    thanks
    Chris

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

que pasa? or kolbasa.....seriously any advice?

3. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Wolfetone Dr.V., Best HB neck pickup on the planet, it simply makes a Duncan 59 sound stupid.

plexi

4. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

thanks Plexi i'll look into the Dr.V

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

WCR Darkburst.Accept no substitute.

6. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

Seth lover?

maybe a HRW

7. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

I really love the original 59 PAF, best balance to me between a warm sound, rich harmonics and enough definition and response to play anything on em.
    If you don t want to spend 2 to 7k on an original 59 but dig the sound, check Sheptone's (www.sheptone.com) pups. Best humbuckers I ve found so far according to my taste and experience with original "good" long magnets PAFs.
    Just like the real PAF they respect the acoustic qualities of your guitar and really bring out the best out of it. Tried em and compared em to my test 59 set on a 335, R9, Neck Keef Tele, Steinberger, Trussart strat with swamp ash and maple top, they blew everything else away.
    Shep will be more than happy to match your neck pup on the impedance of your bridge pup. They come in 4 conductors as well if you want to tap coil em.
    Yet again, it s a very personal matter and all the pups mentionned above are awesome as well.

8. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

Thanks guys for the recommendations.. I'm looking at something closer to the original'59..I'll check the company you mentioned vintage-tone.
    thanks
    Chris

9. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have HRW,s in my Heritage 535,and it sounds killer tone,very Carlton sounding tone,