please recommend a rangemaster clone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mickey69, Jul 24, 2006.

1. mickey69

mickey69 Member

Hi, I've been interested in getting a rangemaster clone. I tried the crispy cream, but i wasn't happy with it. I'll be using it thru my AC15. If possible, I would like it to be versatile enough to get Iommi tones as well as bluesbreaker tones.

Thanks!

2. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I liked the Analogman Beano Boost that I had. Mine had the 3-way toggle. It was pretty raunchy (in a good way) sounding. He's got clips on his site...analogman.com. The BSM stuff is supposed to be good, but the pricing kept me away.

3. Wedgie

Wedgie Member

I concur with the Analogman Beano Boost. With the three way toggle, I find myself using it with all of my guitars - humbuckers, P90s and single coils. Will get you some Sabbath type grit through the right amp. Works very well with my Carr Mercury especially when the amp is in natural overdrive. The one pedal I could not do without.

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

There is an AM Beano Boost in the Emporium for cheap. Get it! If you already know what the rangemaster is all about, it's a good one to have.

--Phil

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

6. FredW

FredW Member

Try Don Butler's rangemaster www.tone-man.com. I have one of his 65amps color boosts and love it. The best pedal for Iommi tones I have come across is the China Fuzz, I bought mine used, but I think they are made by 30th street guitars in NYC. If that is what you are looking for, look no further.

7. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Another vote for Analogman's Beano Boost.
    How I love this pedal - the 3-way toggle is the deal, allowing me to take advantage of this pedal with every guitar I own, single-coils and 'buckers.

First time I plugged it in and hit a chord, it brought an instant smile to my face!
    :RoCkIn

8. fatback

fatback Member

The Pro-Analog Boost Royale gets my vote. It really lights-up my Vox and with the gain and tone knobs it is more versatile than a straight Rangemaster clone.

But if Rangemaster is what you're after, the Element 32 looks very nice also:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=152555

:)

9. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I have a Caitlinbread Super Chili Picasso that I really like, you might want to try one.

10. K-man

K-man Member

I use a Lovepedal Black Beauty Balance. Killer rangemaster and fuzz in one pedal. You can blend the two to get a brighter fuzz as well.

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

...and the Lovepedal Dragon does a very cool Rangemaster sim...

12. straticus

straticus Member

I love my /13 Dyna-Ranger. If I could only have one pedal the DR would be it. The 5 way rotary switch makes it extremely versatile. I'm constantly being asked about it at gigs. Comments like, "Hey man, your rig sounds great ...... but what the heck is THAT pedal? When you step on it .... it's like WOW!".

13. shakti

shakti Member

Is that the China Fuzz made by MJM? If so, it is a Superfuzz clone, and nothing like a Rangemaster. I had one...sorry to say, but it was awful. Sold it and got a Wyllie Rising Sun instead. Also a Superfuzz clone, but infinitely better sounding. Sorry, the MJM was a harsh buzz machine, terribly disappointing.

14. Matt F

Matt F Member

+100 Beano boost is great had 2..

I'm using a Lovepedal White Dragon now which isn't a clone but it is kinda like 50% Fuzzface and 50% Rangemaster and a blend between the two. So many sounds in that pedal. It's awesome. So I sold my Beano and will one day get another White Dragon to use with the one I allready have. Sooooo awesome!

15. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have a GGG Rangemaster clone made from a kit. It's a clone of the original, except the polarity is changed. Very thin, but my understanding is that you can just change a single cap to make for thicker tones. The ones with switches just switch out this cap.

16. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

17. Franklin

Franklin Member

I'm sure no one mentioned the AM Beano Boost!

;)

18. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

19. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

Throbak Stange Master

Killer pedal. The side mount bias knob is a great feature.

20. Teahead

Teahead Member

In my experience no treble booster or Rangemaster clone will sound great into the AC15, since it has only the Top Boost channel. The Vox Normal Channel & Humbuckers are the best pairing for Rangemaster clones.

FWIW, the Beano is a great pedal.