Please recommend an A/B/Y box

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, Jan 18, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

2. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Get the new Lavaflow from Lavaman by Psionic Audio (http://www.lavacable.com/). Or scale down a bit and get the Morley A/B/Y, which I had at one point and had no trouble with whatsoever. Also had a Framptone 3-Banger which is great but big and expensive.

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

The Morley is noisy. Spend the $100 and get a Whirlwind.

4. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

5. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

With any choice, it's about whether it colors your straight-into-the-amp tone, and if it does, can you live with it. There are options that really have no discernable effect from your straight tone. If you're planning to use two separate amps, having things like ground lift, polarity switching, and transformer isolation is important. Oh, and a tuner out, whether it mutes the output or not, is nice. I use a radial switchbone, which also employs a great buffer, and has an integrated switchable clean boost that you can switch to just mids by 5 or 10dB, or variable overall gain (trim pot). However, the Lavaflow that was mentioned is very impressive with its routing capabilities and switchable buffer. Also, if you're dropping coin, look into a Lehle Dual, which is pretty much bombproof and really clean.

6. doublee

doublee Member

I just got a Radial Tonebone and like it. They also make a $75 model which I had and returned. It was fine but I need the LED's to show me which amp is on which the TBone has. It also has a nice variable boost feature and it makes no clicking noise when stomping.

7. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Doublee's referring to the same one I have- switchbone jx-2 (tonebone series). the $75 he's referring to is the bigshot ABY which works well for a passive unit, but yeah, the lack of LED's is an issue, and I thought it sucked a little bit of tone, though less than most in that price range. An active buffer in the path makes a big difference.

8. shood

shood Member

+1. great switching, and a very good solo boost

9. Dave

Dave Member

I've been very happy with the WOBO Double Looper. It uses relays instead of mechanical switches. Totally silent and built like a tank.

I also have their ProgLooper which is great too. Very well built stuff.

10. doublee

doublee Member

YES! The Bigshot must have a pedal in front of it to buffer, that quiets it down. Its a good box though for the $

11. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

12. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

I've used Radial & Lehle: they'll both work for 'ya.

13. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I use the Framptone ABY. Built well and does not alter the sound. I also have the Switchbone but I don't find that as transparent.

14. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

15. sega

sega Member

I got the Startouch and it's really nice.Sure you got Lavaflow but it cost 3 times more than the STARTOUCH.(email Tony from Startouch he will respond very fast not like some other cie)

So if the price is right for you go with STARTOUCH.
    If you like the LAVAFLOW system, go for it.
    Depand of your need and budget.There is also Lehle and other great.

16. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

17. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the input. Anyone else have an opinion on the Whirlwind? It seems nice and simple and solid.

Also, can I use effects on the OTHER side of the Y, for example to split the signal and patch a mono chorus to one amp and not the other?

Cheers!

18. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    I like the Divided by 13 Switchazel because you get ABY, a tuner out that mutes everything, and a Lift pedal built right into it.

Lehle stuff is bulletproof and I like the huge footswitches, bright LEDs and the smooth action of them.

The Morley I have is simple, proven, small size, takes a battery and low cost $$

I have a new Radial Tonebone that I never took out of the box...but I have heard they are really good.