please recommend an acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by -kk-, Mar 23, 2006.

1. -kk-

-kk- Member

Hi all, im looking to get an acoustic guitar that i will use primarily for strumming and some slide work (minor) for acoustic (usually blues) sessions.

i have a very strong preference for jumbo bodies, as I tend to like the bigger bottom and throatier sound (at least thats how they sound to me). Preference would be to have a cutaway, though not vital, and should have a neck that is electric-player friendly.

aahhmmmm... what else? oh yeah budget, im currently thinking nothing about 1.5k. and i'd prob need to plug it in when on stage.

enlighten me, oh wise ones.

2. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Look into a Simon and Patrick. There dreds (I know, not a jumbo), you can get them with a cutaway and an under saddle pickup. There also in your budget. I got mine for twelve hundred dollars cdn. including a case.

Good luck guitar shopping.

3. Boleary2

Boleary2 Supporting Member

I would recommend Larrivee. they are very even sounding with great low end response. I am very impressed with their production models, much more than gibson, taylor, or martin.

4. ericcsong

ericcsong Member

don't be afraid to buy used. you can pick up a nice used Martin d28 for under that price. Larrivees are a great bang for the buck too!

5. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Try a Taylor jumbo. Used, they should be in your price range and they may aready have the electronics built in. Great sounding guitars. Here is one on Ebay that could be in your category - at least you could make an offer -

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-TAYLOR-315CE-ACOUSTIC-ELECTRIC-CUTAWAY-GUITAR-NEW_W0QQitemZ7400558607QQcategoryZ47064QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one -

http://cgi.ebay.com/taylor-615-jumbo-guitar-awesome-guitar_W0QQitemZ7399159101QQcategoryZ33031QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another option would be the 614CE - slightly smaller than a jumbo, but more comfortable in my opinion and I have had them both. Like this one -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taylor-614-CE-acoustic-cutaway-w-hard-case_W0QQitemZ7401084299QQcategoryZ33031QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You should be able to find a great guitar in your price range! Good luck!

6. davess23

davess23 Member

You're on a cusp pricewise: in my opinion, $1.5K will get you a pretty good new guitar-- or a very good used one. I'd go used, but only if you trust your skills to evaluate used instruments or can get somebody who has these skills to help you in the search.

The "electric player-friendly" neck thing is possibly best addressed by a Taylor. They make a nice jumbo, which I've seen with Florentine cutaway. You might find one of these, used, in your price range. And as the preceding post mentions, they usually have electronics built in...these days it's hard to find a Taylor without onboard electronics.

Other good stuff is definitely available. I don't consider dreadnoughts to be the same as Jumbos-- I find them much clumsier to play when seated, because they're squared off and don't have a waist, and they tend to be way bass-heavy for my musical tastes-- but if you just mean you want a large bodied guitar, a used D-28 or D-18 would do fine.

7. -kk-

-kk- Member

thanks for the answers guys. here's some more info that wil help.

i dont mind buying used, though dont really have any experience in evaluating acoustics.

the taylors x15 range is something that interests me a great deal, and maybe a used 615 would be the ticket.

Would love to try the other brands, though i would only get a chance to do this on my travels (I live in Malaysia, selection is pretty limited).

i dont generally like the wat a dreadnoughts sit on my body, because of the shape, so thats quite a turnoff really.

I'll be sure to hunt down a larrivee dealer around here (making a trip to Japan soon, so prob can get my paws on them there).

Great suggestions so far guys, I somehow didnt think of going used until now, but will be sure to keep my eyes peeled.

The other alternative i was thinking of was to settle on a Godin multiac. I will be getting the nylon string version in the next few months anyway, so will evaluate after that as well. Downside is that i must have an acoustic amp with me all the time.

ahhh... decisions, decisions.

8. -kk-

-kk- Member

guys, what about cole clark? anyone tried them?

9. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Re - going used. On Taylors I would not have a problem with this. They are, IMHO, as consistent as Andersons and Suhr are on electrics. There is no substitute for being able to actually play the guitar - unless - you are getting such a good price that playing it is not possible. In the case of the Taylors I sent the links for, you could probably get that much out of them should you decide you did not like them after all, or when you want to upgrade to a better acoustic later. So this avenue protects your investment much better.

Over the years I have played all the leading acoustics side by side and compared them all. For the characteristics you are looking for with the electric style neck IMHO you can not beat Taylor. They have a more Martin like tone than other acoustics. My current acoustics are a Taylor 614CE and a Lowden O32. But I have sold all my Breedloves, Tacomas, and passed on all the Martins, Goodalls and Larivees I have played and there have been many. I love Bourgois (sp?) and Collings, but even used they may not be in your price range. My $.02.

Good luck and enjoy the selction process - it is one of the most enjoyable parts of shopping for a new guitar!

10. B Vance

B Vance Member

I must agree with the Larrivee suggestion. I too like the jumbo body style. However, I absolutely love the Larrivee OM body style. Amazing balance and feel in my opinion. Unfortunately they have discontinued this body style, but there are still plenty to be had out there.

A good site to go to and look around is www.wildwoodmusic.com Amazing selection and only the highest of quality pieces.

Also, if you're lucky you may to able to come across a nice mid 90's used Gibson J-200 for just over the $1,500. I also like the slightly smaller Gibson J series.

11. Gazza

Gazza Member

I would get a Martin D-35 and throw a K&K pure western in that bad boy.

12. LittleC

LittleC Member

No mentions of Alvarez-Yairi?

13. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I play a CC FL2 and its probably the best acoustic guitar I have ever played. I prefer it to my Lowden 023 custom. Mine has spruce rather than bunya as a top. Really seriously cool guitars.