Please recommend tuners for a Gibson B-25-12

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Ronsonic, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Old Gibson 12 string with clapped out plank tuners. Looking for a good quality replacement that won't require fussing, drilling or reaming without spending a fortune.

What should I be looking at?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i vote for two rows of gotoh kluson-type fender tuners (one lefty, one righty, of course).

i think the spacing is right, and anything else would be too damn heavy! ever picked up a 12 with a dozen die-cast mini-grovers on it?

3. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Iirc, the B25 had 6-on-a-plate tuners, and I believe Allparts has 'em - they'll be even lighter than the saf-t-posts, and more than adequate I should think - that guitar is pretty "top heavy" anyway, and you can use all the help you can get to keep it reasonably balanced.

JUST took a set of cheapy die-casts off an old Yam 12, and like walter said, brutally heavy indeed - you had to force the neck down while playing it, which just didn't work AT ALL.

4. toneposeur

toneposeur Member

Ronsonic, I have a set of original 6 on a plank Gibson/Kluson tuners for a 12 string guitar. Please PM me if interested.