1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Please school me on...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Loki, May 19, 2011.

1. Loki

Loki Member

Here are several choices for my first acquisitions - concerning overdrives and delays. I would appreciate some short reviews about ( on?) the pedals.

- Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret

- Fairfield Circuit Barbershop

- Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD

and for the Delay section

- TC Flashback

- MXR Carbon Copy

In addition there is a tie between reverb and wah - only one fits on the board. Which one do you use more often?

2. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

The DLS is a pretty awesome Marshall-esque medium gain OD with some distortion-ish tones on the Rawk side of the switch. It's a great OD, especially for the money, but some might say it's a little lacking in the low end and I personally think it could have a little better touch sensitivity. It does have good clean up with volume knob, it stacks amazingly, and it sounds awesome at 18volts.

The Barbershop is a pretty unique low-mid gain OD. I never really bonded with it but it does have some decent dynamics and the sag control is really neat. I'd like to try it again sometime, I think it could really kill with a Vox type amp, which I don't normally use, but I'm about to pick up a Mesa Transatlantic, which has a totally Vox channel.

The Sweet Honey is designed by a killer dirt designer, Bjorn Juhl, and it takes from his Honey Bee overdrive, although they arenquote different. It basically takes from one of the Honey Bee style tones and expands on it from there. It has more gain, is brighter, and has less sag and touch sensitivity. It's a great pedal but I personally think it lacks the really sweet mojo of the Honey Bee.

The Carbon Copy is an all around good sounding and simple analog delay but it's been quite a while since I owned one so I'm sure someone else can elaborate better than me.

I still haven't picked up the Flashback yet but I have played it a bunch as a friend of mine has one. It can do a lot of cool stuff, I really like the reverse. Most of the delay tones are really good sounding. It's definitely the delay I would go with if I wanted a small footprint under $200.

3. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Those are all good pedals man, can't go wrong just try as many as you can. Heard really good things about DLS.

I'd choose a wah over reverb personally. Reverb gets overused sometimes, also if you have a good delay pedal you can really get by without it. But you need a wah pedal. :)