please share Allen amp opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AbstractLunatic, May 20, 2005.

1. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I posted a thread asking for clips but no one has posted one. Maybe if you guys could just share your opinion of the amps and build quality, tone, etc... Any model would interest me concerning the maker and quality.

Thanks

2. Greggy

Greggy Member

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Although I have yet to play/hear an Allen amp, his amps have gotten high marks from many of the Fender amp aficionados that I know.

4. mkg

mkg Member

Hot Fudge w/Nuts clips here

I've used this amp on several gigs now, both mic'd and unmic'd...it's a keeper.
    As far as quality, David's amps and kits are topnotch.
    Also, David himself is great to do business with, very communicative, friendly, and professional.
    Sorry I missed your previous request for clips, I'd have been on it like a bum on a baloney sandwich.
    :cool:

5. Mark C

Mark C Member

I have an Accomplice. Simply a killer sounding amp in the Fender Blackface vein.

6. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

David Allen builds great amps. I have owned several of them (Accomplice, Old Flame) and I'd never hesitate to own another one.

7. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know you're happy with his amps. I'm interested in the Encore Head myself.

8. SteveR

SteveR Member

David worked on my Fender Vibrolux Reverb and I am very happy with the results. He was a pleasure to deal with, very honest and timely with his communications.

I've been thinking about checking out his Encore combo for myself. Seems like it might be a "better" Vibrolux Reverb with the addition of the mid control, master volume and raw control.

Steve

9. karmadave

karmadave Member

If Fender amps are your thing, you can't go wrong with Allen. He improves upon the classic Fender Blackface and Brown designs and is simply a pleasure to deal with. He also sells used (ie "rescued") vintage stuff if a real Fender amp is your thing. Choose your flavor. You can't go wrong. Kenny Blue Ray plays Allen Amps exclusively. There's a sample cut on his website (http://home.earthlink.net/~blueray/sounds/PTSsample.mp3). Good luck!

10. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

I also have owned quite a few Allen amps- my wife thinks too many, but then don't they all?:D Best advice I can give is to talk with David yourself and you'll get an idea of the kind of person he is, how he conducts his business, and how much he knows about amps. Next thing you know, you'll be sending him money...and receiving a wonderful amp in return!

11. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

It seems like it's unanimous. I'm about a day or three away from ordering so I want to make sure I'm picking a great amp.

How do his cabinets compare to Avatar cabs?

12. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Is there an Allen model that sounds like a Pro Reverb?

13. karmadave

karmadave Member

An Old Flame Head into a 2 x 12" cabinet will get you into Pro Reverb territory. Old Flame is the most versitile in my opinion...

14. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

For a person that likes to play with Tremolo effect, would you suggest an Encore head(with trem onboard) or an Old Flame head ( buy Trem pedal)?

15. karmadave

karmadave Member

My only personal experience is playing the Old Flame and Brown Sugar, both excellent amps, but without tremelo. KBR uses a pedal with his, but then he only uses tremelo on a couple tunes. Encore's tremelo is especially nice, 'cause it's the Brown-era tremelo curcuit. Only drawback, I can see is lack of a dwell control on the reverb. If you're gonna do the Encore, go with a 40-watt output tranny. You also might email David Allen and see what he suggests. Like I said, the man is extremely knowlegable and very responsive to inquires, requests, etc. He may suggest something better suited to your tastes. Good luck!