Please, stop buying pedals you have no intention of keeping!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chankgeez, Dec 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

Easy. Someone just looks to their network of friends / partners. Just get a couple of folks who play well to demo it and rant and rave. Then couple that with the fact they're hard to get, and people start to get excited. And boom. Before long you have a waitlist, a demand, a strong "aftermarket" which all work together to create the most amazing pedal ever.

Snufkinoob likes this.
  2. FrankHendrix

FrankHendrix Telephile Gold Supporting Member

Guff, you said, and I quote: "Flippers are the lazy opportunists who act underhanded and break up families over estate disputes."

Apples and oranges. Flippers buy something with the intention of reselling it for a profit. Estate disputes are, by definition, disputes over the division of estate assets.

I'm not even getting into the 'act underhanded' part of flipping because I'm not sure you could support such a statement. Is it your contention that it is unfair that some people have more money to invest in stuff they plan to resell to people who didn't have the opportunity or the money to buy it themselves or were too lazy to find it in the first place? I would suggest that the people who were too lazy to find it themselves or who didn't have the money to buy it 'on the cheap' also don't have the money to buy it for the marked-up price so it would appear they were out of the loop at any time during the process.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

4. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Clearly the OP does not understand tone chasing. Allow me to spell it out simply:

We BUY a pedal because we want to TRY a pedal. If it doesn't serve our purpose, we flip it and keep looking. This is an expensive, frustrating, and time consuming endeavor, yet we persist because we want to improve our tone. That covers about 98% of the pedal market.

Another 1% is when we know the exact pedal we need, but are looking for a KEEPER. For example, vintage TS808's. My buddy has a June 1980 that sounds absolutely incredible. I've purchased one from the same month but it had no magic. Over the years I've flipped several and although I have a good one currently, it's not a KEEPER to me. Hence the flipping continues.

The last 1% is the scenario the OP is concerned about. People trying to corner the market or drive up prices etc... It's no different than vintage dealers and collectors though. They see a potential business opportunity. As a player it hurts my tone chase, but that's what the free market is all about. For every guy that enters the gear market to MAKE money, there are 100 guys who are LOSING money.

dirk_benedict, JScaster and Lephty like this.
  5. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

I've bought a lot of pedals that I don't really use regularly...but they are mainly studio pedals, so the point is to have a lot of pedal options available, even if they each only get used once in a blue moon.
    Also...at some point you realize that some of them will never get used, because others have come along that cover that tonal zone better...so eventually you get rid of them, and then you buy some more pedals.

It's a fluid process...and not a static one that you lock into, and then you're done for life. :D

6. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Then what would I do with my time? Post even more on TGP? Play guitar? Spend time with friends and family?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    dbeeman likes this.
  7. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Please stop selling me pedals at ridiculously low prices I can easily flip them for. Or something.

8. Lephty

Lephty Member

This is it for me. I have had most of the same pedals for years now. I buy a few pedals a year. I try them either because I've seen the hype about something (often here at TGP...when will I learn?) and want to check it out, or maybe I just decide I want to change something up in my rig. But sitting in a Guitar Center trying out pedals is a waste of time--I need to plug it into my rig and play a gig or two with it before I can really decide. Sometimes I re-sell them, sometimes I keep them just because they are interesting, even though they won't live in my usual rig, and maybe one in 5 is a keeper if I'm lucky.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this approach...I have lost a lot of money in the process...lol. And these days I'm honestly finding pedals to be pretty difficult to sell. But I did make a couple hundred on a KoT once...(shhh)

wickedcookie and Telefunky like this.
  9. Class5

Class5 Member

The KoT comes to mind here. I see them flipped 'as new' for astronomical prices reminding me of ticket scalpers.

hippieboy likes this.
  10. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Exactly and that sucks!

11. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Scalping is a thing in a wide variety of contexts. So long as it isn't being applied to food, water, etc, I don't personally concern myself with it. I also don't do it.

12. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

Sort of did it once - had a chance to trade a boutique pedal I couldn't sell for a pedal I knew would sell quickly - and I was right.
    But I usually buy or trade for gear I want tl keep.

13. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

You can buy any of my pedals for sale with the intention of flipping, i will appreciate the sale. You can even make me a discounted offer on multiple pedals to increase your margin. I will probably accept it as i understand what my time is worth.
    For those screeching about flippers, do you also screech about people selling for less than they paid, even if they bought used? I guess the screeching itself is really the important thing. Carry on

14. Manny G

Manny G Member

Latest bit of flip seems to be the Black Ash fuzzes by EQD. Quite a few on Reverb for crazy prices. I notice they are not selling though.

Yes, it might be unseemly to be a flipper, but if you're a buyer that wants something discontinued or limited edition, having flippers around can be a godsend, assuming you don't care about getting nailed on pricing. To each their own.

I bought Tickets to Tool in 2006 for their run of shows in small theaters. I paid $250 per seat, so I was hosed and knew it going in. However, the concert was amazing, my memories of that show are priceless and I've made back the $500, so that's how I look at it.

If someone wants to sell and someone wants to buy, it's probably a good idea op to mind your own business about it.

15. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

I will flip gear till I die

16. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

Buying pedals you don’t need keeps companies afloat that need to go away in the natural Darwinian capitalistic lifecycle!! So buying pedals is stopping evolution!!! I hope you can sleep tonight knowing this.....:confused:

17. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

No criminals don’t pay for hostages - they take them. This analogy only applies to those who have nicked (UK term) all of their pedals and refuse to sell.

18. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

On one hand I don't think much of flippers. On the other I think its hilarious how much people on here get bent out of shape over "needing" pedals that aren't available or are too expensive. If you can't make music with what's available out there right now you're really beyond helping.

Tabor likes this.
  19. nastynate

nastynate Member

20. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Umm know the value of what you're buying first? Supply and demand