• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Please stop playing Little Wing

Atmospheric

My personal Classic Rock “F*** No I Won’t Play Dat” list:
  1. All Along The Watchtower
  2. Brown-Eyed Girl
  3. Can’t You See
  4. Cocaine
  5. Dear Mr. Fantasy
  6. Feeling’ Alright
  7. Free Bird
  8. I Shall Be Released
  9. I Shot The Sheriff
  10. Knocking’ On Heaven’s Door
  11. Little Wing
  12. Mustang Sally
  13. Sweet Home Alabama
  14. The Weight
It's a work in progress.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
Castles Made of Sand is a way better song. Now that's a groove!
My personal Classic Rock “F*** No I Won’t Play Dat” list:
  1. All Along The Watchtower
  2. Brown-Eyed Girl
  3. Can’t You See
  4. Cocaine
  5. Dear Mr. Fantasy
  6. Feeling’ Alright
  7. Free Bird
  8. I Shall Be Released
  9. I Shot The Sheriff
  10. Knocking’ On Heaven’s Door
  11. Little Wing
  12. Mustang Sally
  13. Sweet Home Alabama
  14. The Weight
It's a work in progress.
Oh snap! Dear Mr. Fantasy is on the list.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
We play "Little Wing" in two bands I'm in, it always goes over great, and I love it every time, because I get do my Mitch Mitchell licks, and they're killer for a drummer to build upon. Mitch was a huge influence of mine. We stretch it out with multiple solos.

Sorry, never stop playing Little Wing, never, it's timeless,,,it's a beautiful, thoughtful song, whose only flaw is that it's too short,,,on the other hand because it's such a gem please, do not subject it to tasteless butchering either.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I love hearing it when it’s played at a high level. Listening for the subtleties of finesse, clean execution, emotion, groove, etc. it’s a great song to know instantly that a player has **** going on.

A good measuring stick. (Not that music is a competition...but for my own appreciation and sizing up)

Machew

Silver Supporting Member
Little Wing will be awesome no matter how many people play it. You not have to listen to anyone play it.

Machew

Silver Supporting Member
Wouldnt this count as pub question? how does it fit into the guitar section?

johnnyjj

To be fair, Derek & the Dominoes did it first before Stevie
Yes, but at least their version has a drugged up impassioned feel to it - reinterpreting the song as some kind of funereal lament. SRV's overblown open mic blooze jam version takes a delicate, restrained ballad and turns it into the worst Guitar World fret wank ever. I mean, Jimi's approach on the original was so gentle that he deployed a glockenspiel, for Pete's sake...

scotty31

There must be something wrong with my brain. Unlike other people, I don't get sick of songs I like. I love Stairway to Heaven and Little Wing. If I hear them too much I may want to take a break from them, but I'll come back.
Yep. Ill bust out both as my warm ups on a regular basis (Sweet Child too)
I spent a long time as a kid learning those tracks inside out. Getting the timings right, etc.
Ive never used them (outside of SCoM for an exam) for anything other than practice and something to noodle with if i get a quick chance to fire an amp up :)

So much hate for classic tracks.
Stairway still gets me every time i hear it.

johnnyjj

For those of you whining about Little Wing turning into a "wank fest" must not be very good at "wanking".

Anyone who has the ability to wank for more than 30 seconds probably really enjoys it and has done lots of practicing. They wouldn't complain about getting off.
Well, for me music concerns communication (which implies some measure of exchange between the artist and the listener). What you're describing is masturbation.

Dr. Tinnitus

I'm not criticizing the song itself.

I'm criticizing the "creative license" people take with it - extended solos of the only four pentatonic licks they know, generally.

That's the point, they don't play jimis stuff - and they don't take it a new direction EITHER.

They just blandly "wew diddly wew" like everyone did when they were 14.
Why do you care? At least it's in a musical genre you might like.

There are many worse things being passed of as music that people think are great.

Dr. Tinnitus

Well, for me music concerns communication (which implies some measure of exchange between the artist and the listener). What you're describing is masturbation.
Yeah, which is a big reason why an artist is an artist or a musician is a musician.

Tell all your adoring fans I say hi...

Hack Prophet

vile mighty wretched
I have never had any interest in hearing anybody besides Jimi play Little Wing. To me, it is the deepest expression of his most interesting personal style, and covers are like if a gifted artist reproduced Starry Night. Of course, I don't agree with trying to keep anyone from playing what they want. Just not interested nor impressed.

Trending Topics