Please Suggest a Speaker for Mesa Nomad 1x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Denny, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Denny

Denny Member

I love this amp (I know lots of folks here on TGP don' tlike Mesas but i love 'em). I've been playing them since Carlos first made them popular (i also use a Budda superdirve II 18 watt, 1x12 as well). I was wondering if anyone can suggest a better speaker than the Mesa Black shadow (Eminence). It seems to be too "in your face". I like massive bass response, smooth mids and not pearcing highs (if this helps at all) It's a 45 watt, (EL-84) 1x12 combo. Thanks and Happy Holidays

Denny

2. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

The stock Celestion Black Shadow in my Nomad 55 works great.

3. alberob

alberob Member

It's O.K.to love boogies.I still have fun with my 1980 Mark2B.It has a 15 EV that I love in it.Lately I have been using a cannibis rex 12 in a small cabinet and its woderful in overdrive.Fat and warm.

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

More info on the type of music (country, metal, jazz, etc.) and how much clean headroom you need would help advise.

Cheers!

5. Denny

Denny Member

I play classic rock, blues, southern rock, some country - I don't need a lot of clean headroom

D

6. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

Actually, there's a LOT of love for mesas here. :AOK I'd wager there are as many boogie owners here as any other amp manufacturer, including fender and Marshall.
    The celestion custom 90 watt black shadow speakers are REALLY nice. Well balanced with enough headroom for country.

7. el34power

el34power Member

I have a Mesa 3/4 open, wide cab with a Black shadow/Celestion. Very nice speaker, well balanced, honest withsome bri ish flavour. IMO, not THAT much in your face. You might want to experiment with some different tubes.

my 2 cents

8. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Another vote for the MC90's! They are really my most favorite 12" driver. I use them with all of my amps, (Marshall, Boogie, and Z), and they work great for classic crunch tones...very smooth with lots of punch and big low end, especially in a closed back cab...and they're still built in the UK according to the folks at Mesa.

9. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I don't know which speaker ships with that model
    they all say "black shadow" on them

if it's the 90w, that's a great speaker
    it's been one of my "go to" speakers for years

10. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Ditto on the MC90. Great speakers, I've been using them for 15 years or so in a lot of different Mesa amps. I have 3 right now, one in my Blue Angel, Rocket 44 and a 1x12 open back wide body that I use with my DR Z RT 66 or as an ext speaker for the Mesas.

11. aeolian

aeolian Member

Another vote for the Celestion/Mesa Black Shadow 90. On of my favorite all around speakers. And not one I would consider "in your face". That said, how loud are you playing? If you're able to crank it up a bit, I'd suggest an EV. I use one in certain clubs where my Tonker's are too agressive. But at low volumes, the hi-fi nature of the EV might make it sound too bright (they don't break up, but they do soften as you turn them louder, due to the heavy cone and motor structure).

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i know it's going to sound like a weird suggestion and not an easy speaker to find. look for the "new" bad cat speaker they are shipping in their new amps. it rocks!!!!

only downside, not sure of the wattage. i have a 2x12 and a 30 watt amp so im not too worried.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Celestion Mesa Black Shadow 90 watter +100

Cant beat that Speaker in Any Boogie!

Hows it going Denny?
    Hope you have a very Merry Christmas