Please suggest best 5 watt amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jason UP, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

Hi fellers, i've got a 35 watt Fargen that sits in the garage that I can never crank b/c of kids / wife, etc. It gets broken out for gigs only nowadays. So, I'd love a decent 5 watt amp that I can actually bring INSIDE the house (imagine that!), get in from the cold, get solid tone and won't blow everyone away - so depending on where they are i can just tote the little amp to a corner of the house and pluck away. I was originally thinking about the Nighttrain b/c that has the scaling switch that allows around 5 watts of output, while still being able to probably practice with the boys with it at full power, etc. Problem there, is i'd have to buy a 1x12 too or carry my 2x12 in from the garage. In short, a small rockin' amp so looking for a little combo here probably. Any ideas? thanks!

2. direneed

direneed Member

I have Macht 6 that I absolutely love, but it's still a very loud 6 watts. Not a bedroom amp, but has rich clean tone, awesome tremolo, takes pedals well, and just plain cranks with buckers.

I've played a Mini Z before that I really loved for about the lowest volume pure cranking tube tone you can get. If I were looking solely for an amp that I can crank in the house, this would be on my short list, too. These little guys really sing more than any of the other low powered combos I've played or owned (Brown Princeton, BF VibroChamp, BF Princeton, Champ, etc).

Hope that helps.

3. Jason UP

ahh yes the Mini Z...I need to check that out for sure! Also anyone experience the Blackheart Little Giant BH5-112? That's the combo version...let me know what you thought on that one or any others! thanks!

4. Jason UP

Have definitely been following the Star, but a wee bit pricey unfortunately! Same goes with the Baby...sounds awesome though. I've always pined for a Matchless amp (chieftain, etc.) but i never could pull the trigger....I'll check out those vids for sure...thanks!

5. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

Fender Champion 600

[​IMG]

6. Astronome

Astronome Supporting Member

i am selling my Matamp minimat 2 in the emporium right now. This amp is a killer 4 watt 6v6 head... and has a very nice attenuator on the back panel that allows for some serious low volume playing. I love it!, i just need more volume for shows these days. It gets great cleans as well as awesome crunch tones.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=644376

7. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I have a Samamp VAC25. It's a 1x12 combo that has settings at 3, 5, 11, 18, and 25 watts. Several gain stages. Can get great saturated sounds at indoor volumes using the 3 watt setting but can also be pefectly giggable in clubs. Mine has a "Marshall flavor." There's also a VAC23 that's "tween flavored" but the same idea. Why spend a lot of money on a great sounding little amp when you can have your cake and eat it too I say.

www.samamp.com

8. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I'd look around for a SF Champ or Vibrochamp.

9. Rkin1

Rkin1 Supporting Member

+1 on the Mini Z. The built in attenuator makes it useable in many situations.

10. evbrad2007

evbrad2007 Member

If you could find a used Gries 5, I think you would be in business. The Vox AC4TV is also one worth considering...1/4, 2(?), and 4watt settings. I haven't tried the combo, but I played through the head/cab version recently and it sounds really remarkably good...of course, very little, if any, truly clean headroom. I was (and still am) tempted to pick one up to go with a surplus 1x12 cab w/Greenback that I have taking up space.

11. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Vicky 5112 ... great recording / practice amp.

12. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

How about 7 watt... Cornell Plexi 7 is an outstanding 1x10 combo amp...

13. Gtowngearhead

Gtowngearhead Member

People here seem to love the Bambino, I saw the Special combo version earlier today for $800usd. I myself would liek to find one used... Maybe check the Bugera V5?

14. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

This gets my vote as well, especially if you can't find a late 50's - 60 Gibson GA-5.

15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

If you can find a Marshall Class 5 without the rattle issue, that's a killer sounding little 5 watt amp.

16. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

If you go up a tad, you might like a Gibson GA15R. It's a 15 watt amp, 1x12" with reverb, but it also has a pentode/triode switch to reduce the power. Couple that with high and low power inputs and it's like 4 different little amps, all great sounding. And at 15 watts in the 1st input it's plenty for playing out ~

17. sparky1358

sparky1358 Member

Look into goodsell amps

18. frogbiscuit

frogbiscuit Member

Tweed Champ or Backface champ.

I wouls also look into getting a 12" speaker cab, I was not a fan of the small amps until I plugged my Valve Jr into a 1x12, holy crap what a difference.

19. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Toss up between the Victoria 5112 & Fender Vibro Champ. Both are great but different enough from each other. I love both of them. 2 amps I don't think I'll ever sell :)

20. Juice Jenkins

Juice Jenkins Member

Reason Bambino works great for me. I always use Stack Mode and use the Stack volume as a master volume when it's late and I can't be loud. It still has great tube feel and tone even when quiet. Can be run at 2 watts or 8 watts. 2 watt setting has more than enough power and volume for home studio use.