Please suggest EASY blues song

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mitchanator, Mar 18, 2015.

1. mitchanator

mitchanator Member

hey guys i've been playing for couple of years but just started getting lesson. Eally like my teacher but he strated me from the ground up. So i've been learning lots of basic theory i didn't know. He wants me to learn an easy blues songz. Both rhythm and theme. Any suggestion for easy song, nothing to complicated to practice a bunch of stuff on it. Thanks guys

2. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

3. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

Har! You've never attempted "Lucy Mae Blues" by Frankie Lee Simms, apparently.

Anyway, Jimmy Reed is a good place to start, such as "Baby What You Want Me To Do" or "Bright Lights Big City." Unless your teacher knows a lot about blues, it's doubtful that your teacher will be able to help you play it correctly, but it's a good learning experience.

4. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

The easiest ones are the hardest ones to get to sound right. And most people sound like nimrods trying.

5. BigSB

BigSB Member

Born Under A Bad Sign. Albert King. Two chords and you can learn about laying back and grooving with the rhythm section, who happen to be the MGs.

6. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

Pick one you like. Seriously. If it moves you, that's the one to dig into. That said, you could do something like Muddy Waters' "Nineteen Years Old" or Howlin' Wolf's "Smokestack Lightnin'" or "Spoonful." Nothing really complicated, but getting the groove and feel right seems to elude a lot of players.

7. frank1985

frank1985 Member

Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan....J/K! I've been playing that for a year and am still trying to get it right.

I'd say load up born under a bad sign by albert king and if you like the songs, learn a couple of them by ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9zl9N2Vss

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Get the shuffle down...

...that's the Key to the Highway...

...all the way to Sweet Home Chicago...

9. BTO

BTO Member

1st blues I ever learned was Dust My Broom. Pretty basic and easy to play over.

10. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

Born Under a Bad Sign is easy? News to me. I knew a guy who called it the "band breakup" song because so many people play it wrong.

11. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I am guessing the teacher is teaching the young acolyte that what sounds simple may not be easy to play right.

I like Hoochie Coochie man (Muddy Waters version).

Dust my broom wouldn't be bad - but I always think of that one as the starter slide tune.
    I also like the idea of something that isn't straight i -iv-v to start out too, "Key to the highway" or "Nobody knows you when you're down and out" are good ones too.

ZeyerGTR makes a good point - what blues songs have you heard/do you know?

My tip is - you should try singing it too, while you're at it.

12. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

Yeah, Born Under a Bad Sign,according to my teacher, to get it right is pretty hard. I think the main thing would be: get to know the I, IV, V form, 12 bar blues and what that means theory wise. That's a good basis.

13. Greentone

Greentone Member

I think you ought to give that tune another listen, there's more than two chords. :huh

14. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Might want to add another chord there.

Beat me to it. I'd suggest a good comp CD or maybe download a copy of Jimmy Reed at Carnegie Hall .Also streaming blues on cable or online as well as left of the dial radio with blues programming. There is a lot more to blues than 12 bar.

15. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

16. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

And then pay attention to this: