Please take the Flexi away...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Peterson, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Whew.

Somebody better take the Flexi away from me, because I am never going to get any work done ever again. :D

honeymoon /on

Lunchtime "I'll just try it for a little bit" periods are stretching far longer then they are allowed too. If I didn't work for myself, I'd be fired by now. Heck, I am even considering firing myself so I'll have more time to play.

:D

Alright, this is one helluva a cool amp. Good lordy.

First things up, it is a very different beast than any other amp I have ever owned. Single channel, with a footswitchable boost and a master volume you can defeat. A lot of guys don't seem to use the footswitch, but I do. It isn't "two" channels; it is more like an infinite number of subtle options available... .using the footswitch and the volume/tone and switch controls on your guitar.

I don't know how to describe the tone, because depending on how you tube the thing it can do an amazing range of tones with authority and authentic feel. This is the holy grail for me. I have a nice stash of great tubes; I can pretty much voice the thing to do most any gig I'll be doing. And man, what fun going through the flavors.

I ran through powertubes earlier this week; I have my sacred remaining Mullard EL34 in there with a NOS Phillips 7581A and man, what a tone. Biased to about 30mA. It takes but a few seconds once the cage is off to start swapping stuff as you need (I have a handy glove to handle hot tubes) and off you go. Tried 6L6, various EL34's (EI, JJ, Svetlana, CED) and the 7581A's. My surviving Mullard (it's partner is forever remembered post mortem) just kills with all of them, but man, adding the 7581's compliments it so well. Whew. Then you can mess with the bias; the suggested setting is 25mA; I have found that the NOS tubes like to go about 30mA and it is all goodness. :D

Today was preamp tubes. I have NOS stuff (GE, Phillips, RCA, Mullard, Telefunken and more) and 80-current stuff (EI, JJ, JJ/Tesla, Chinese, Sovteks (lots of flavors).

I ultimately like the Mullards and the Telefunkens (big surprise, eh?); with the Telefunkens taking the V1 with a ECC83 and V2 with a ECC82 and the PI in V3 running a ECC83. They just add a clarity and focus that the Mullards seen a touch furry with; but the thing was how apparent it was to hear the differences between all these tubes.

And that is the crux; amps that can sound good with tons of different tubes are cool; but one that basically just revoices completely based on what you drop in there are extremely far and inbetween. My Guytron was sorta like this; and on different levels the Matchless amps; but none of them made it so crystal clear to hear.

Man.

The guys that slam on this tend to want more gain; well, this thing has that POWER tone; just full of overtones and a fullness with glitter on top. With the boost on and cranked up (master off0 it just COOKS with Marshall like authority. No band will "hide" this thing, I really like how responsive it is; if you want aggresion.... play aggresively. If you want sweetness and tears, it'll do it. Just play it that way. It offers up the goods.

This same touch responsiveness is also the key to working with the guitar to create the shades this thing offers up. The key is really working on your picking dynamics and the volume knob to craft tones for most anything you want given your tube setup selection.

I am just happy as snot. :D

I am running this through my TruTone pine 212; I have a Tone Tools 212 on the way and will be trying the new Guytron 212 next week here too. The speakers in all of these are the Guytron Big Tones - I *really* like these speakers. Guy voiced them to sound like a mix of the best old Celestions he liked and they do deliver.

The pedal situation is interesting. I don't want to use any. The more I play this rig, the less I want to hear effects. I just don't want to. Which is pretty funny considering that even a couple of weeks ago I was pretty high on getting the upcoming TC Electronic G-System. And now, well, my world has shifted. If I want my pedals, I have the Furman powered pedalboard setup in a "lite" config with my wah, chorus, booster/OD and tuner.

I am part of a startup band that has its first rehearsal next week; rock covers. Could I have picked a better time to go this direction? :D

Just on the honeymoon thing, dying to get the Hot Plate that'll arrive tomorrow and get this rig out in a band situation and see what happens.

/honeymoon /on

:D

2. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Hey Scott! It is so nice to see you so happy with an amp!!!!! :D I can understand, I feel the same way about my Flexi, amazing instrument! Let us know how it worked in the band (prepare to be amazed!!!!) and maybe... clips?????

3. Scott Peterson

I'll drop some clips, but after that video you did, whew. You got some funk chops my friend.

In fact it was your video that got me off my rear and made this whole deal come down for me. Once I heard what you guys did with the thing (and something about seeing you guys do it on video) just sealed the deal for me. I had to go after the thing.

And quite a thing it is!

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>I am just happy as snot<<

Yes, but what does that amount to on the "happy as a" happiness scale?

Happy as a clam at high tide

Happy as a pig in sh*t

Happy as a sand boy

Happy as a horny shepherd with high boots and a hard on (actually, I just made that one up, the others are real "happy as" analogies. ;)

5. markp

markp Member

The pedal is pretty cool,I will set volume with boost off and then set master to same volume with boost on for more crunch and then master off for clean and lead.
    Three channel amp with the lead also being your clean.
    My honey moon isnt even close to being over at about 18 months.

6. davebc

davebc Member

In your best Trump VOICE.
    "Scott.You've been spending way too much time with your Flexi,to the detriment of your own team.Carolyn,said you were playing SO loud that you actually blew her skirt up.
    Scott,Your Fired!"

7. davebc

davebc Member

How does the Flexi sound with a Lester.I can hear how versitile it is with Strats.I'm strill trying to get a feel for this amp's gain,which I'm hoping isn't too over the top for me. I have a chance to buy a mint used one.

8. Scott Peterson

I don't have a Lester, but I do have a Hamer Custom Studio with WCR Darkbursts. You can revoice the gain with your tube selection or simply... turning the gain down. :D

John Phillips, :D. FWIW, I handle the hot tubes VERY carefully. I also wait until the amp is off and making no sounds (caps bleeding off). Oh, and the tones when you mix the 7581A and the Mullard after an all NOS Telefunken preamp setup? Good god. I have never heard a more beautiful sound come out of my hands. I mean that.

It is really something that an amp so utterly compelling and unique and original comes out and sounds so damn good. I mean, I don't have words. Andy at THD is a freaking genious. I really mean that.

9. brent

brent Member

I think it sounds better with a LP than a Strat

But I also think strats aren't nearly as tricky to dial in as an LP as a general rule

It's tone holds together on low notes in a way you'll NEVER hear from a Marshall, it has me using all the controls on the LP for a boatload of tonal variety. I never really used the tone controls except in a set it and forget it mode on my LP's but with the Flexi they open up a huge range of useable tones primarily because the definition and 'resolution' of the Flexi is so precise. You can solo on the low strings with the bass pickup with no woofing, ghosting or howling.

And I agree with Scott that you can nuance yourself to death with the thing, it is an incredibly rewarding and challenging playing experience. Yet it is also maddening in a way because you just know you can always hit a part a little better and be rewarded with better sound.

10. Scott Peterson

Guytron Big Tones. I really like these speakers with the VHT amps and now with the THD. Guy voiced them around his favorite versions of Celestion blackbacks. And I think he nailed it.

11. Den

Den Member

I'm really glad to hear you've gone this direction ... I can't imagine you'd have gotten this excited over the G-System.

BTW, My rig is an ABY with my Carr Rambler and an Aiken Tomcat, and as much I love my pedals, with this set-up they just aren't as important to me as they used to be. Congrats.

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

LOL! :)

:cool:

13. Baba

Baba Member

Cool! Glad to hear you're digging it.

So funny, one of the things that stuck out in your original post was about using FX, I'm getting to be the same way, just like you, I was a rack nut for years, playing without multi FX just wasn't an option, but when you dig your tones, you just want more of them and nothing else!

14. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Scott-Congrats on the Flexi! I've almost pulled the trigger on one more times than I can count. You are gonna make it VERY hard to pass up the next one that I see at a reasonable price. :D

15. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I will gladly take it away so you can focus more on your work. I will be doing you a favor. Please send it to Me! I love the Flexi. I will even cover shipping!

16. Glaze

Glaze Member

Scott Peterson

Yes some of the old tubes sound better than any of the new stuff.

I feel that the Flexi has more than enough gain for me. I do not use pedals with it. I just turn it up in non master volume mode and let her rip. I love having a non master volume amp that has this tone and gain without pedals. Big thumbs up because I prefer non master volume amps tone wise and of course it does the master volume amp thing too but I do not use it.

Mike

17. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

I am very glad my friend! :) You are too nice and Flexi is a WAY too nice amp too!:D

18. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I heartily concur with all Scott's descriptions/assessments of the Flexi- I REALLY dialed it in at last night's gig (Leon, Spain, opening for Lenny Kravitz)... I'm playing a LP Custom with RS kit and a WCR Darkburst in the bridge tuned down to C# with 12-56 gauge strings through the Flexi, unattenuated and no master volume....

Scott just read that and smiled knowingly I bet, haha, I'm sure he can imagine just how devastating this guitar sounds through that amp, it is FRIGGING FAT and dynamic, the best old school harminically rich punchy Marshall-esque tones I think I've ever achieved, Lenny was up on stage during our check and was digging the way it sounded bigtime, and he's got 2 refrigerator racks up there with 50w plexis, Deluxes, Tweeds, etc....

I'm really in love. Now, when I have the ability to carry 2 amps/cabs, I'll bring my FTR37 and a/b em, LOOK OUT.......

19. JBPlanck

JBPlanck Member

Sweet my friend, sweet! Can't wait to hear it when your new ROCK project plays out. Man I'm glad your doing a rock project again :D

-John