Please talk to me about LP studios - what am I giving up?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by geoangus, Dec 26, 2009.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

My main guitar is an S type, but I think I'd like to have a Les Paul again. At this time though, no way can I justify the ante required for a standard or custom. So that brings me to these LP studios. What's the deal? What am I sacrificing? Would I be better off going the Epi or Edwards route?

Thanks

2. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

no. studios are a great deal. you are giving up binding and inlays. also a bit of body depth, and probably a slightly lesser grade of wood. Play a couple and see if any jump out.

3. gad zooks

gad zooks Member

If you like the looks, go for it. My roommate used to have one that I played daily for a couple years and it sounded just like a LP should IMO. Lot's of folks bag on the 498/490 pickups, but if you adjust them just right you can get clear/defined from the neck and all out balls to the wall from the bridge. I have a LP classic these days cause I just need the binding and cream plastic (shallow? maybe.....)

4. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely phenomenal guitar for the money--bought one in 1988 and still play it today. And every time I do I regret getting rid of the original 490/498 pickups.

5. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I don't care for the pickups, at least compared to '57 Classics. Otherwise, I see no reason to spring for the upscale tops and binding of the Standards, etc. I'd choose a Studio over an Epi any day.

6. XKnight

XKnight Member

LP Studios are excellent guitars. Just try a bunch and find the one for you. The only thing you are giving up is neck binding and headstock inlays.

7. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Studios are great Les Pauls!

I ended up selling a '92 Studio back to the original owner after I had it for 3 years. I was going to switch out the 490/498 pups but decided to install a RS Electronic upgrade kit first..........that did the trick, opened the pickups right up. Another thing I liked about this guitar was the fact it wasn't chambered, I like Les Pauls a bit heavier.

You'll have to decide if you want one with weight relief or one that is chambered.
    Chambering officially began for 2007 but the late 2006s are also chambered. Any Les Paul made after October 2006 maybe or likely is chambered.

8. bettset

bettset Member

the studios i feel are just fine. haven't played one since 1991 or so, but i thought they played well. another idea would be to find an epiphone elite/elitist--very comparable. they are not regular epi's--i like the 2002-03's the best. :munch

9. jpage

The Elitists I've played all had very thin necks--don't know if all of them are like that though...

10. NoahL

NoahL Member

I take it you want a new guitar, and a Gibson. Just curious why you're not interested in a used Gibby or a good old copy (Ibanez, Greco, etc.)? Could a guy get a used Ibanez with Super 70s/80s for the price of a new Gibby, and get all the visual appeal of a fancy guitar? Assuming the frets had a lot of life in them, you'd be assured of a guitar that had dried out nicely and gotten more resonant and isn't going to cause you neck problems down the road -- it's all grown up.

11. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

A Gibson Studio isn't a bad guitar; it's just that there are better new guitars in the $800-$1500 range that don't have Gibson on the headstock, there are much better used guitars in that range that don't have Gibson on the headstock and there are even better Gibsons (used) in that price range.

In short, I'd almost never consider a new Gibson Studio.

12. jpage

'Better' is subjective. The Gibson Les Paul is arguably the most iconic sound in rock and blues--like it or not (most here do not LOL). The Gibson Les Paul Studio is the most cost effective way to get you there. To compare a Epiphone or even a Hamer to a Gibson Les Paul is like comparing a Tele to a Strat--just ain't the same thing, bro (again, like it or not).

13. geoangus

geoangus Member

Actually, I'm thinking used. This would be a guitar to complement my S. Like I said, I'm shopping on a budget. Besides an Epi, Hamer was the only other guitar I considered. If I could find a Hamer to try out, I would, but I guess I am kind of stuck on the Gibby pedigree. But I'm easily persuaded

14. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

But comparing a LP Studio to a used LP Standard Faded, a used Standard, or a new Edwards, is *exactly* the same thing.

Personally, I'd go with a used Standard Faded. Great guitars, well within the OPs price range. You get all the Les Paul goodness, it looks "right," and it says "Gibson" on the headstock.

15. pattste

pattste Member

I would go with the used Gibson LP Studio. If it doesn't work out (I'd be very surprised), then you can always resell it for pretty much the same price you paid.

16. metrognome

metrognome Member

Put you some better pickups in it and yer all set.

17. pd1030

pd1030 Silver Supporting Member

My girl bought me a brand new studio in alpine white for Christmas and I absolutely love it. I was skeptical at first because of the chambering, but it's great for noodling around unplugged which I do quite often. Very resonant and I actually love the pickups. Definitely doing the RS kit as well as changing out the speed knobs for some top hats and maybe vintage style locking tuners.

18. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I always come back to my '85 (used to be Alpine white, now sort of yellowed white) Studio.

It does have new pots/wiring and SD '59s.

19. 09STREETGLIDE

09STREETGLIDE Member

I had the 2008 studio mahogony and it had the burstbucker II's in it and that thing rocked, I just sold it to buy the Les Paul Traditional Pro, But i wouldnt hesitate to buy another one, They are comming out with some nice colors on them now.

20. TK LP

TK LP Member

I think a used Studio is the best bang for your buck in a double humbucker guitar period. If you can't rock a Studio, you can't rock.

[​IMG]