Please tell me about Barber Tone Press...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by auffredou, Jan 15, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

First of all, let me start by saying that I am completely new to compressors. I had always planned on getting one, as I love the nice touch it adds to the sound of alot of guys whose tone i like.

so...I got my mini bi-comp yesterday, and while I can get some good sounds out of it, its not exactly what I had imagined it as (probably because, like I said, I am new to compressors!). I play a les paul studio, and single notes sound pretty good, although at times they sound distorted at first, and then sound better if thats possible. Also, I tend to get a pretty "muffled" sound Id say when playing chords. I turned the attack all the way up as Ive heard this helps with humbuckers, but still, if I hit a chord hard, it becomes sort of blanketed and almost hard to hear.

I read all kinds of reviews on the Barber Tone Press tonight on a whim, and it seemed like every review I read was speaking right to me. They explained my problems with the "classic compressor sound" almost exactly, and said that the Barber Tone Press is perfect for this type of thing. So anyway, should I look into this? Any opinions? Thanks guys.

2. D.G.

D.G. Member

Yes, I'd recommend a Tone Press. I'd also hold onto the bi-comp! Compression is what I term a "big-boy" effect. There tends to be quite the learning curve to understanding how to use them effectively. I find that subtler settings are better, though YMMV.

3. auffredou

auffredou Member

that is pretty much what i was thinking D.G....my guess was that Im just not ready for such an intense squash (even with the attack adjusted), when Ive never used compression at all.

but the problem is...dont think I have the funds to be holding on to both! especially when ill be looking to get a delay, speaker upgrade, and more in the near future.

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

it also should be noted that at this point Im not looking for anything beyond subtler settings either. I dont need hardcore squish or anything, im just looking to add the tiny bit of flavor to my clean tone that I imagine when I hear others with compressors.

5. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

good post!

Take your time with compression. I'm not familiar with the Bi-comp, but I own the Tone Press and it is as good as they say. IMHO, it IS as good as they say because it CAN sound like a normal compressor or that's what you want. But it can also sound better than most AND retain the things you don't want to give up (that most compressors do) while using a compressor. And, it can be a very nice class A boost when you need that instead. NEVER. Yeah, NEVER, will I sell my Tone Press.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

7. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I can back up Howie, here. I've been through a bunch of compressors and the TP is THE one. Love it, love it. Adds that little extra magic to my rig.

8. auffredou

auffredou Member

D.G. if youre around (or obviously anyone else can chime in), could you just expand on that a little further? What should I know being a new user of compressors? Can you achieve those "subtle" settings youre talking about with the analogman mini bi-comp? Correct me if Im wrong, but besides "squashing" the notes, a compressor does add something to your sound/changes your tone? Does it only level out the volume of the notes? Because Ive always been under the impression that compressors give the note a certain tone that cant be achieved otherwise.

Im pretty confused here, and any help is appreciated. Another thing I should mention...when running the volume on my les paul a little lower today and picking soft, I began to hear the sound I had expected to get. I read on analogman's site that if youre using a more powerful guitar, you may want to try powering the pedal with a 12v adapter. It was after reading this that I noticed the main problem: the notes are coming out distorted. the attack on each note is completely distorted, but if I pluck very softly I get that tone Im looking for. Could this help with chords too, or have anything to do with the problem Im having with hearing muffled chords? Should I pick up a 12v adapter to try and run this thing with? Thoughts? Thanks!!!

9. English Jim

English Jim Member

The Tone Press replaced the Keely on my board. Very nice comp! The great feature of the TP is that you can run the uncompressed signal in parallel with the compressed signal. That way you don't lose attack but you still get the additional sustain. Works well for me.

10. auffredou

auffredou Member

I tried the tone press today, and liked that feature alot, although it almost seemed like all it was adding was sustain at the settings required for this. Theres a certain tone quality that I (at least think I) hear in all my heros who use compressors, and the tone press seemed to add a nice touch and sustain, but didnt seem to provide this quite as much. Maybe Im just crazy...

11. auffredou

auffredou Member

In other words I liked it (very much so), but Im thinking I wish I could just skip to the stage where I can know how to use the bi-comp in the right way. That pedal seemed like halfway between, and besides adding sustain, wasnt something that I immediately had the urge to throw in my rig. Who knows, I could end up with it after all this. I do like the idea of having the two comps on the analogman though...

12. DC1

DC1 Member

The Tone Press is a pedal version of a common studio process. It is the single most musically useful pedal I have ever played. Just get one, and spend an evening with it. Dial the blend to full compression, Set the level to taste, set the compresser so there is more squeeze going on than you want, and now dial the blend back until you get the amount of uncompressed tone you want. Adjust the level as needed. Now play...

Say wow...

Spend some more time with it and you will never be without one.

DC

13. auffredou

auffredou Member

oh I really liked it DC1, trust me, and I messed with it for a while. Its just that at this point, I dont have the cash for both (wish I did, then thered be no problem)! So id have to give up one or the other, and, three things: 1) it sounds like the bi-comp is going to be a much sought after pedal in a few years when they have to start making them differently 2) I know someone who uses one and gets incredible tone that I envy 3) I really like the option of having both comps on there.

By the way, which way does the blend knob work? I thought after having these problems that Id want alot of uncompressed tone in there, but I found I liked it best set high, at around 3 oclock almost.

14. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

A question for you.....if you HADN'T read about the Tone Press would you have been happy with your Bi Comp?
    Sometimes we're our own worst enemies here. :BITCH
    The grass isn't always greener my friend.........

15. auffredou

auffredou Member

actually, I was unhappy with the bi comp at first, but now that Ive found the main problem, I have hope. Like I said, the notes get distorted. Im going to run it at 12 volts I think, and if this helps, Im all set!

16. DC1

DC1 Member

Clockwise is more compressor, counterclockwise is more direct. At full, in either direction, it is either all comp or all direct. Where you like the blend will depend on where you set the compressor. Use your ears.

I sold some vintage DBX 160VU's that I had running in the FX loop of my Marshall (for 2K BTW) when I compared them head to head to the TP. The TP was just as good as they were or better.

DC

17. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I like to set mine for added sustain and a little bit of squash.

Blend: 10:30
    Sustain: 2:00
    Volume: unity

Sell or send back the Bi Comp and buy the Barber! :RoCkIn

18. auffredou

auffredou Member

ok so ive spent some good time with both of them. heres my concern with the tone press. alot of people on here seem to LOVE it, but ive also gathered that people are using compressors for two different reasons. some use it as more of an "effect", while others are using it to level out the volumes and add sustain. everyone that talks up the tone press seems to like it for a similar reason, and that is that you can add sustain and get leveling without changing the tone at all. I actually tend to like the slight change in tone you can get from a compressor, and while the tone press was great, it doesnt seem to give that.

To give you an idea of what I need, I play in a jam-band type group. Alot of guys with the sound Im going for, including Trey Anastasio, Chuck and Al from moe., and Barber from the Disco Biscuits (who has the clean sound Im really going for) seem to use the bi-comp and sound really good. Thoughts?

19. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i use a maxon cp-101 and love it.... i bought a tone press to check it out and although it didn't kick the maxon off my board, the TP is probably the only other compressor i'd use. i don't use comps for the squash - just to even my signal out and make everything a bit punchier.... i just thought the maxon retained the string attack just a tad better. but the tone press sounded quite good... if they ever stopped making the maxon, i'd buy a tone press...

20. auffredou

auffredou Member

anyone else here use a bi-comp?