Please tell me about Trainwreck and similar amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big hair, May 6, 2005.

1. big hair

big hair Member

I have owned quite a few amps over the last few years - marshalls, soldanos, road king etc, but one thing I have never checked out is a Trainwreck or similar amp.

I'm quite intrigued by these, esp Komet or Fuchs Train-45. Any info or background about them would be nice, plus is there anything that stands them out from other amps?

I play hard rock and am looking for something that has a nice sweet overdrive, but maybe witha slightly different vibe to marshall etc

2. loverocker

loverocker Member

Not so many people have heard real ones. There are some clips at the Twreck forum over at http://www.maximoaudio.com/forum/ I think there are some booteek clones around - Komet?

I made a 15W version of the Trainwreck Liverpool, and it's not far from being my favourite amp (though it could do with some extra tweaking). The clean is very Fendery, but the overdrive is pretty high gain. But not like a cascaded gain Marshallesque amp (Soldano, etc) - more compressed, I'd say.

You can go from one extreme to the other by rolling the guitar Volume pot - just like a good vintage non-MV amp design. But the amp goes further into gain than a typical non-MV amp - its lead tone is just so smooth.

3. gnugear

gnugear Member

That's the same boat I'm in. In fact I got so intrigued I decided to build one. I've got all my parts coming in as we speak. Geetarpicker has some real Express clips that pushed me over the edge. I heard those a few years ago and have been interested ever since.

I've built or rebuilt 4 plexis, so I think I can handle the Express. I love tweaking so it should be fun to dial the amp in. I hear that's the key. I've been told that they were designed to be unstable and then tweaked to the point to where they do become stable. That' the reason they're so harmonically complex and why each one is different.

4. goneracin

goneracin Member

An express, which is the el34 model, is a very good, aggressive amp. Not the way over saturated preamp gain, but just killer drive and push. I have built a few that were not direct clones, but were similar styles, and they are a kick ass amp, very loud for a 2xel34 amp. Its definately a marshall flavored amp, but with a different vibe, brighter and more articulate, and more in your face is how Id say it. Loverocker does a good job explaining it gain wise Id say.

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Check out a Bruno Bulldog 45 with reverb. I played that and a Trainwreck Express at Ultrasound. BRUNO all the way!!!!!!

6. big hair

big hair Member

Thanks for the info guys, the twreck pages are good reading :)

7. Mook

Mook Senior Member

8. big hair

big hair Member

9. fyler

fyler Supporting Member

just to clarify, the Komet 60 is not a trainwreck clone. it was designed by ken fischer (TW) and built by mike and hogy. i'd say it's in a different league from the clones.

10. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    my take on it: "Trainwreck" was Ken's motorcycle nickname/handle and is anything Ken designs and approves. by that measure Komet (60 & 80) is a Trainwreck design. some of us have been fortunate enough that Ken did individual tweaks. those particular amps are just as much Trainwrecks IMHO as any Rocket or Liverpool or Express.

re original post, i thought my Komet 60 had a really sweet overdrive in "fast" mode. it was pretty frickin' loud, tho ;)
    definitely Marshallesque w/EL34s. some hear a touch of Vox & Hiwatt w/the stock setup. i liked mine w/KT66s and EL37s best. had a bugle boy in there, too.

dos centavos
    :cool:

11. Fretts

Fretts Member

Going through my archive, found the brochure for Trainwreck that Ken sent me.
    It's hard to remember that these prices were simply outrageous at the time, that's why I could never pony up to get one.
    Now these prices are outrageous at the other end of the spectrum!
    That's Ken's handwriting at the bottom.

[​IMG]

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

dont forget to add Alessandro to that list.

13. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I've been luck enough to play two 'Wrecks in my life. Thye are pretty much responsible for my life long GAS. They started it all!