• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Please tell me the similarities /differences between the Fulltone OCD and Fulldrive 2

Soul Man

Local 83
Gold Supporting Member
I like the sound of both - what are the pros/cons of each?

Are they too similar to own both?

Thanks!

guitarz1972

They're different.

OCD is a more "open" overdrive where FD2 is generally more compressed, like a tubescreamer. You can set them up to sound different than I just described, but that's generally what you'd be looking at.

I have both. I tend to grab the OCD more often; to my ears, it's easier to get it to sound more like my amp cranked up (which I like), whereas the FD2 colors my tone more. Sometimes I think the OCD sounds a little "buzzy" when I turn the Drive up past 12:00, but it's usually not too bad. I like the HP mode the best and tend to leave it on all the time set that way. It's almost trite these days on TGP to say "it cleans up well with the volume knob on your guitar," but I think that's true in this case, at least the way I've been using it.

FD2 does have the Boost function, which some don't care for (it doesn't add a lot of volume really, like boosts otherwise are often thought about), but I think it makes the pedal very special because of the difference in the clipping; makes it sound more saturated and "singing" by Fulltone's own description. Between its boost and the 3 different modes (assuming you're looking at a current or pretty recent version), FD2 is a very versatile stand-alone overdrive. A lot of posters here say it's their go-to pedal and I can understand that.

Some guys like to stack them both in order to get different gain stages and stuff, I've never really gotten into that kind of setup myself.

Hope that helps.

C

strombie

He said it well. OCD = more gain, more open sound. FD2 = lower gain, more compressed. I actually like the FD2 a bit more. The OCD can get a little buzzy at extreme settings. I tend to run it on LP mode for a little warmer sound. But the best sound is stacking them together. I run FD2 into the OCD for crunchy goodness.

abnerfm

The FD sound more like a TS-9, it cuts better in a live mix. The OCD has flatter EQ, more gain and is very open.

chervokas

I've never had an OCD, but I do like the FD....they're different circuits according to what I've read or if the schematics floating around the 'Net are accurate.

The FD is a soft clipper with diodes in the gain stage feedback loop, and asymmetrical clipping...in the SD-1 family (but with asymmetry achieved differently, different voicing and tone control, and all those toggles for tweaking). The OCD is more in the DOD250/Distortion+/Rat family -- with symmetrical clippers after the gain stage, but the clippers are mosfets instead of diodes and instead of being tied to ground they're apparently tied to some kind of feedback loop where the clipping level responds to the input level. Sounds like a nifty design actually, now I'm curious to try one -- kinda like a touch sensitive hard clipper.

Last edited:

dascher

I had the FD2 and just got an OCD last week. Its running in front of a TS9. The easiest way to describe the difference to me is that the OCD is much more of a 90's crunch while the FD2 is more vintage. These terms are all relative so its really what your looking for. For the record, I dont think the OCD is for me but its too early for me to flip right now.

FD2 (TS9)= Trey, SRV, etc
OCD = 90's alt

YMMV of course

KyleA_724

Love my FD2. Have messed around with the idea of getting the ocd, but i'm short on funds right now. It is very SRVish and does color your tone alot, which I was really noticing last night. When I got my FD2, I was in a cover band that did alot of blues and classic rock, which is what the FD2 excels at. Now since i'm more involved in my church's worship team, I feel that the OCD would do me more good than the FD2. Now that being said, a friend told me to check this guy out>>>

http://www.amazon.com/JF-02-Guitar-...CK9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329513108&sr=8-1

APPARENTLY, it's an OCD clone and many online retailers who carry em even advertise them with OCD in the title. But when the OCD is $135+ and this one's only $35? sounds kinda fishy to me... THOUGH I have heard that the resemblance is VERY close.

schrom81

FD2- It is a tube screamer type pedal. Lots of mids, compressed and the lows are cut off. I love this pedal I prefer it over a ts808 or ts9, it just has a nice voice to it.

OCD- It goes for a transparent sound, or you can put in HP mode and get more of a Marshall sound. So they say. It is not transparent it has excess bass and spikes in the highs. It is Fuzzy and buzzy when gained up past noon. I didn't like this pedal I tried and tried for a year and then gave up on it. It also stacks for crap. Only TS type pedals into it sound good. Anything else into it or it into anything else sucks. With that said the FD2 into the OCD is a wonderful sound.

Nota

I love the OCD v4. I don't think it's transparent (the Blackstone OD is transparent and I didn't like that at all). I turn the tone down and it gets a nice midrangey sound that I love.

I use the OCD as my "always-on" pedal and an EP for volume boosts, and with the insane volume knob control I don't need more drive.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
Both pedals are great IMO. The work great separately and together. Both sound best used as low gain boosts into a breaking up amp, to my ears at least.

The OCD will have very different results depending on the surrounding setup, which is why I think there are so many opinions on it. It can be 100% transparent at certain settings, others not so much. Its gain range is impressive to me.

The FD2 is definitely in the TS camp, as others stated. It can do a variety of sounds within that realm though, and they're all good. This pedal definitely sounds best into a dirty amp to me. It has some nice mids, and each setting has a slightly different voicing.

They stack great together (I like FD2>OCD). These 2 pedals alone could easily cover some people's dirt needs, since they are both very versatile. I however prefer the FD2, especially in comp cut mode. Despite their differences, they can cover very similar territory when used as a boost into a dirty amp. At most settings, they cover completely different territory though.

Soul Man

Local 83
Gold Supporting Member
Asking a question with no right answer:

In your opinion, which sounds better going into a clean amp?

guitarz1972

Asking a question with no right answer:

In your opinion, which sounds better going into a clean amp?
Ah, but the right answer is: BOTH can sound fine into a clean amp. lol

I run my amp clean most of the time, and like I said I usually go with the OCD in my rig. To my ears, it just sounds (and "feels?") better, and I think it's just a little more basic and straight-forward than the FD2 (I like keeping it simple, for better and worse maybe). But I know a lot of players reach for the FD2 into a clean amp as well. I think it's really just a matter of personal taste. Again, they're both different. Try both extensively with your amp or one close to it and see what you like best. Invariably, if you're like me, you'll probably end up picking one and just sticking with it most of the time.

FWIW my amp's a Genz Benz Black Pearl, which is kind of a "voxy" amp. Maybe some others can chime in with preferences for Fender and Marshall style amps, etc.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom