Please tell me what is wrong with my pedal order

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Eskimo_Joe, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I am re-evaluating my pedalboard and would value your input on pedal order. Is there anything wrong here?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

guitar -> fuzz -> wah -> comp -> more fuzz (I tested them all and found which ones sound good before and after the wah) -> overdrive -> distortion -> phaser -> vibe -> flanger (with tuner out of the "out B") -> EQ -> treble booster (has buffer) -> booster (has buffer) -> reverb/trem tank -> amp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tested the order, one by one, of most of my combinations and was happy with the results, but when taking it all together, it is not nearly as good. :( I'm sure some of this is signal loss due to running so many pedals.

All that said - what is your advice? THANKS!!!
    :BEER

Details- I'm running most of the pedals via Pedal Power. Some of fuzzes via non-alkaline batteries.

2. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Try the Phaser pre-wah and maybe pre-fuzz. What tuner are you using...and where is it at?

Exactly what pedals you're running would be helpful as well.

3. justicetones

justicetones Member

I agree with RDM's suggestion. Also I would try the treble booster before you Distortion and overdrive. The buffer earlier in your chain could help things too.

Ultimately you should trust your ear and how the guitar feels.

4. minjason

minjason Member

maybe boosters right after your ODs/distortions before your modulation effects?

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Pretty much looks like what I would do and I too would have tested them one by one...

I'm actually in a similar boat where I'm thirsting for the pure tone after a long chain. I was actually going to post something similar.

For me, it looks like I'm going to have to invest in a nice true-bypass looper or may even save for the GigRig.

For you, it doesn't look like you can do anything else with the order because reguardless of what you do, you're running around 13 in front. I'm running that as well give or take. I'm thinking a killer looper is what you need.

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

I recently tried my phaser pre od/dist and it made a world of difference.

7. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

What he said. I'm re-engineering my board and this is what I am going to do when the final shipments come in.

8. Eskimo_Joe

Thanks for your replies everybody!

My tuner is a BOSS TU-2 and I have it running out of the second output in my TZF flanger. I believe this takes it out of the signal. Am I wrong???? Now I'm paranoid! :)

I won't list everything for fear of embarrassing myself as a gear addict :crazy:drool but here's the basics...fuzzes are a D*A*M 1966, an MKII, a sunface (before the wah)...most everything else is BJF stuff except the flanger (TZF) and the vibe (Mojo Vibe)

Hope that helps! Thanks again!

9. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Put the tuner dead last. Try it...I swear.

10. minjason

minjason Member

+1. you'd be surprised what a difference this makes.

11. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

i like to run my vibe after my comp and before my OD's, but the rest looks pretty good to me... what booster are you using? i have a launch pad, and it worked wonders for me, i run my tu2 out of it to keep it out of the signal path... i guess you could look at your cables and the lengths if you're really concerned about signal loss, but by the looks of the gear you have i'd say that you probably have decent cables...

12. Eskimo_Joe

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I appreciate your help! I'll try a few things and see what happens!