Pledge wipes on the neck.............

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Blueswede, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

I saw a guy playing a while back and he would use Pledge wipes on his neck and fretboard. He spoke very highly about them....
    Anyone else out there use them? Suggestions? Thanks. Steve

2. rooster

rooster Member

I don't like doing that due to the residual wax. I generally clean the strings with the JD string cleaner (65), and for oiling the fingerboard, I use bore oil for clarinets (which are generally made out of rosewood) every few months (it's dry in Phoenix).

rooster.

3. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

I never use Alcohol on my strings. It deadens them prematurely. If you wipe them down every time you play your guitar with a clean dry cloth, you'll never get build-up. As far as the fretboard goes, I only use Raw Linseed oil. Bore oil is very good too.

I little tip: I keep a packet of Silica Gel in my case. It keeps excess moisture from corroding the strings.

4. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

+1 for the 65 string cleaner.

To be honest, I've never really treated my fretboard. I know I should, but when I take my guitars in, the techs usually go over it and make it all purdy!! :D

Lance

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Regarding some subjects mentioned in this thread:

The oddest guitar maintenence product I've used is Murphy's Oil Soap.A long time ago I worked at a musical instrument store in Ann Arbor,MI.A guy named Rich worked there part time and had about the cleanest,near mint looking guitar I'd ever seen.He claimed to use Murphy's Oil Soap on his guitar.Several years later I actually tried it -I had a tub of it,sort of jellylike formula and would just put a little on a rag and rub on and off.It worked great and my guitars ended up looking nice.I've used this on nitro and modern finishes.The catch is this formula/container doesn't seem to be marketed anymore and actually I don't know what formulation Rich used.I figure the traditional liquid is the same thing but never used it.Don't confuse the vegetable soap with their other products.

The common view was that furniture type products weren't good for guitars because of things like silicone,stickiness and wax buildup.I always stuck to "guitar polish" though just what the difference was ?,and some guitar polish probably has contained silicones.I've generally maintained dark boards with occasional use of 0000 steel wool and some sort of fretboard treatment.I once knew a music store owner who specialized in brass/wind vehemently explain why bore oil was bad for wood and clarinets and what should be used instead.Unfortunately,I forget what he suggested and rare use of Gibson Fretboard treatment been fine.

String life seems to be related to body chemistry.Washing your hands before you play and wiping the strings down after especially after hot,sweaty band practices helps for many.Since string formulas vary some brands may last better than others.Silica needs to be recharged after it absorbs moisture-there is some technique involving a warm oven and the color changing but I forget the exact method.Remember-DO NOT EAT! ;)

6. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Senior Member

Al Nali's? BTW...I noticed your in the UP now? Where at? I'm originally from Detroit, grew up in Brighton and am now outside of Travere City!:D