Plek a cheap guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Zexcoil, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

How much is plekking, where can I get it done in AZ and would you do it to a cheap(er) guitar?

I've got a MIM Robert Cray Strat that sounds great and I love the neck. The fret job is less than stellar and as such the action is a little spotty. It's screaming potential, though.

2. soulohio

soulohio Member

i have a SX GGC jr..les paul style with two P-90's. I am so into this guitar that I will have it plekked....the axe cost me $130 and i believe that's what a plekk job costs...or thereabouts...

3. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

4. mark23

mark23 Member

From what i found ther are not places in your area that does it but you can always send it out here is a list of links of places that do the plekking http://www.plek.com/index.php?master=Plek+in+USA

For prices i am not sure what it cost to have it done but if you love the guitar why not do it.

5. mark23

mark23 Member

6. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

Baltimore isnt that far off. Thanks all!

7. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Big +1 for Phil Jacoby and his fret work and setups.
    You will not be disappointed.

8. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I've heard nothing but praise for Phil Jacoby's work too & I plan on having my CS Strat's neck Plek'd by him sometime in the near future (13 years of play wear are starting to show). He's located in the Camden Yards/M&T Bank Stadium area (within walking distance from one of my ex-gf's places ironically; never knew it until recently though) so it's close to the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Canton, and Federal Hill so there are plenty of things to do around there.

Anyway, IMO if you really dig the guitar that much & if the Plek job makes it that much better for you then I don't see a downside to it. If it were a guitar that you were just luke warm to from the beginning then I would think twice about it, but in your case it sounds as though it would be worth it.

9. Brick

Brick Member

I was hanging out at Phil's while my Tele was getting Pleked and another customer came in to pickup his guitar that had been Pleked....his guitar? A Fender Esprit that he had just bought for $300.

I played it and it felt great.

So IMHO, I would say, heck yeah...Plek what you want to Plek. It will play and feel better than ever before.

Especially if Phil does it ;-)

รท

10. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I had Phil Jacoby plek a MIM Muddy Waters Telecaster that I bought used for $420. While it's a "cheap" guitar, it has everything I wanted out of a Tele. The plek job was worth it -- made a good guitar play perfectly. YMMV. Phil does top quality work and is great to deal with.