1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Plek Review

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TestierWheat, Feb 25, 2006.

1. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I picked up two guitars today that I had Plek'd by Phil Jacoby at Philtone in Baltimore, MD.

In a nut shell, the results far exceeded my expectations.

The guitars (Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard and American Series Stratocaster) never played or sounded better. I just can't get over how well these guitars play now.

In my opinion, the Plek machine is the ultimate tool for a luthier. It simply takes the guess work out of the job.

Phil takes quite a bit of time to get to know your playing style and inputs his expertise to fully maximize the effectiveness of the Plek process for you.

I can't say enough good things about Phil or the Plek process. In fact, I left him with another one of my guitars to be Plek'd.

If you're looking for the ultimate set-up or if you need any other work done on your guitars; Phil Jacoby at Philtone (www.philtone.com) is the man!

2. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

So how much does the Plek treatment set one back?

3. Boomer

Boomer Member

I don't know if guitars are the same but for basses it's "$150 for a full Plek level and set up, you supply strings." Joe Glaser charges a little less but his turn around is longer.

4. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I had other work done to the guitars as well, but I believe if you're just getting the guitar Plek'd it's about $150. Although, I would check with Phil for actual pricing.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'm still waiting for one to come to my neck of the woods(anywhere in South Florida)........I just don't trust Fed Ex anymore after hearing the horror stories here with one of my babies. I can see now I'm gonna be dropping a grand easy........:(

6. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

I just had my strat plek'd the other week and it's amazing at how much smoother it plays now. I had some serious fret wear after 4 years, it was flat with divets in some of my frets.

The plek completely smoothed it out, and bends are really smooth now.

I'm glad I'm in Oklahoma, one of probably only two places that charge $129 for Plek + complete setup, instead of $150, although with the job I needed I would have paid the $150 - big improvement!

7. artandink

artandink Member

I had a neck from USACG pleked, then installed on a T body by Phil. Can't say enough good things on his abilities. The guitar is set every bit as nice as a new Suhr I purchased 18 months ago (with Plek).

If Phil was closer to where I live, my wallet would be a lot thinner. I would bring all my "playing-out" guitars to him.

8. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I know what you mean. Once you've played a guitar that has been Plek'd you realize that there really is something to the process. I know that I will have all my guitars Plek'd.

Furthermore, I think guys like Suhr who are Pleking their guitars really understand the concept of incorporating technology to build a better instrument.

9. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Whats plek'd or pleking mean/do?

10. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    So has anyone had a less than satisfying experience with a guitar that has been Pleked, as in it comes back and still has fret buzz, even though the action is not excessively low?

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That is probably a huge step in the right direction for them. Can't wait to we get one in the area...........

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Are there any Plek machines in the Minneapolis area?

13. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

Good question. I'm not a very technical person, but www.plek.com will answer your questions.

I can say that the results are remarkable.

14. h20man

h20man Member

I had my Strat worked on by Phil Saturday as well. He was nice enough to fit me in since I was coming from DE. What a guy, very personable and knowledgable as well. Got to see a Les Paul Custom on the Plek machine. He does great work and goes over everything to make sure the guitar is setup just like you want it:AOK

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Who's got pics of the machine? Wtf does it look like?

Is it mostly for getting low action? I like med-high action so what would the benefit be for someone like that?

16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

It's a rather large and heavy affair. Looks like it could give a CAT scan when its done with your guitar. It'll substantially improve any fretboard, regardless of action height. You'll hit the notes more cleanly, and everything will feel smoother, more fluid. Google the Plek site, you'll get pics and details. AC

17. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

That was my Les Paul Custom.

18. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Remember it's a tool, and the results depend on the luthier.

That's why you hear such raves about Phil's work with it.

19. h20man

h20man Member

Beautiful guitar, I am going to bring in my Les Paul Standard in April to have it done if he's still not backed up from the all the guitars he had lying around.

20. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I realize it's a tool. Although, it is an amazing tool. I believe skilled luthiers who do not have a Plek machine are at a serious disadvantage to skilled luthiers who do.