Plek'd Gibson Les Pauls? How much better?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mt10, Jun 14, 2006.

1. mt10

mt10 Member

Does anyone have a plek'd Gibson Les Paul? Do you think it makes much of a difference? I was thinking about buying a RI Goldtop and was looking at some used ones but also saw that the 2006's are plek'd, I was wondering if it was worth it to go after a new one since they are plek'd. Thanks

2. gregit

gregit Member

wth is plek'd?

nm...google is a wonderful thing.

3. Swirl

Swirl Member

I've played a couple. 57 Custom VOS and 60 Jr VOS, both hands down the best new Gibsons I've ever played.

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Depends on the particular guitar you are comparing it with. IMHO, go for the best sounding guitar with the best feeling neck. You can get any guitar leveled and dressed anytime you want but a good level and dress (or plek) will never make a bad sounding guitar sound good. It will just sound bad with less buzzing.....;)

5. brent

brent Member

I'm sure the Plek is part of it but the VOS I've played were better than anything I've seen coming straight from Gibson in the past, it's like they suddenly have PRS QC going on

6. Thwap

Thwap Member

I'd agree with this. I've played some great pre-VOS, and some great VOS, and some not so great of each as well.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

The internet myth growing around this thing is getting out of control...

The Plek does a fret job. Nothing more.

It's a perfect fret job, but it's still just a fret job.

That would be like choosing your car based on which tires come standard.

Pick the guitar for the guitar. If you really want to put it on a PLek, you can get it done for a little over $100 at any shop that has one.

But you might not even need it. If your frets are good, there's absolutely no point unless you love spending money. In which case you should pay me 50% of the money I just saved you with this advice.

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

If you really want to put it on a PLek, you can get it done for a little over $100 at any shop that has one.

Thats the problem!! I think only 5 exist in the United States. If I had one anywhere in my state (Florida) I'd be all over it.

Man......if I had the dough I'd love to invest in one. In fact I could handle 20% right now. Maybe I should put a team together..............:rolleyes:

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

I have a VOS with the plek job. I've owned a dozen or so historic Les Pauls over the years, some with good frets, some that very obviously neede to go back to the factory (and did). If you buy a plekked 06, you are virtually guaranteed to get a guitar that does not need a fret job out of the box. Buy a non-plekked one, and you may have to immediately have a couple frets filed down.

Lots of other factors to consider when buying a guitar, but my 06 is definitely in the top 3 of the Gibson's I've owned.

10. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

i've been doing perfect fret jobs for over 25 years, am i going to buy a plek machine for my shop?...........................nope

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

Makes sense, yet not really relevant to the question.

12. Guitarist

Guitarist Member

Oh, but it is. Plek-wha...?

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That's why we have UPS.

About buying one: I used to be in the printing business, where I learned that you don't invest significant money in a technology unless you already have enough work to keep it busy all the time.

14. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

My '04 Les Paul R8 is the only guitar I haven't had to bring to the shop for fret work/set up. It was perfect out of the box and it still is.

15. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

The Colonel has been plekking for decades, this is nothing new.

16. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Just think of all those guitarist that don't surf the web who are actually happy with thier stock gear. Poor bastids, my heart goes out to them :rolleyes:

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

UPS? The reason for a PLEK job would be to make the guitar play better..........Not destroy it. :rolleyes:

Did I mention there is no PLEK in my state or the surrounding states? About 5 in the USA. If You can afford one that machine would be busy 24-7 around here.

I'm serious...........I've contacted the company and I told them I can get 20% up right now..........if they have any other serious takers or someone looking for a silent partner I'm in. [​IMG]

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

How many fret jobs do you do a week as of now, more or less?

19. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have owned the same model, same frets and neck profile from same maufacturer plek'ed and non-plek'ed. The plek'ed one seemed to play better to me. IMHO, YMMV .....

20. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

uhhhmm...but after UPS gets done with your guitar, you will need a lot more than fret work!:rotflmao